running 33"

mandarrin

alright i got an 89 wrangler 2.5l ax5 transmission stock only 1 1/2" shackle lift.i was wondering if i can run 33" tires.i use my jeep on a daily base,but ofcourse i also go off roading maybe onece or twice a month.so what do you guys think.or maybe i should just put 32".thanks guys[addsig]

you need 2.5 inchs in supension lift to run 31s with out a problem if I have remember correct. and a 4 to 4.5 lift for 33's. with you 1.5" shackle lift you may need a boddy lift to fit that much meat under there. Or keep the shackles and add a 2.5" supension lift with it. Correct me if I am wrong guys and gal's. Tug[addsig]

I run 33 and had to use a 4" suspension lift. I do not know if a 2.5 will work or not.[addsig]

2.5 plus the 1.5 shackles will be 4" still going to be tight. tug
[addsig]

Performance will suffer, but you'll still be able to get around. You will be slow going on hills, won't be able to use 5th gear, and passing is out of the question. Your Jeep will stall more offroad since your crawl speed will not be as slow. It's doable, but regearing is preferred.

I'm running 32" tires with the 2.5L and stock 4.10 gearing, it's okay but I've got some performance mods on the engine that help compensate.

If you look at my pics in the above post, I fit the 32" tires easily with a 1.5" AAL spring lift, 1" BL, and TJ fender flares. No driveline modifications or vibrations. When I put on 2.5" springs I'll easily clear 33" tires and still have a lower center of gravity (COG) than most all 4" spring lift jeeps :-D [addsig]

what mods should u do to the 2.5 ? so you can run 33s
:-?

First and foremost the largest improvement in running 33" tires with the 2.5L engine is to regear the axle to 4.88. I've added:
  • Airtube and conical K&N
  • Cat-back exhaust with Flowmaster 50 DF muffler
  • Electric fan

I'll soon be installing a Mopar Performance camshaft. So far, all these mods have made the 2.5L a fun engine to drive.[addsig]

Hey Bounty - How does that electric fan work in water? I've heard of some guys that had them disintagrate when they got them underwater. Just wondering[addsig]

bounty has got it all there... regearing would be the first thing you should do.... the electric fan is a GREAT mod... I recently did it, and got all that strain lifted off the motor... works well... a while back, i heard someone talking about an inerta ring, something to add weight to the flywheel to keep momentum going... i've read nothing but good stuff about it[addsig]

my 33 Bfg's will still rub with my 4.5x lift. It only rubs when it's flexed out. The 4.88's turn the tires well with a 2.5l motor.[addsig]

so it looks like if i regear my axels to 4.88 then it would perform good with out any other upgrades.do i have to regear both axels front and rear?what about if i run 32" with out any other mods would my jeep performe good in and off road.

thanks[addsig]

I am afraid I have to agree with tug here... the 33's are just to big without a good 4" of lift or better, even 31's will rub some but you may get away with it, besides tearing fenders off you need to look at the gearing issue, 33's are a lot of tire for a 2.5 with stock gears...

BUBBA[addsig]

Just a sugestion, you might look at 4.56 gears if you spend much time on road. I am currently running 4.88's with 35's and it still pushing it to run 70-75. If you have 33's and 4.88's it would be great off road but on the freeway I think you might regret it.[addsig]

Ya you will have to do both axles if you want 4 wheel drive. If you just do the back one you can still drive it just not in 4wd. You would rip up the drivetrain. My 33's i think runs good on the highway i still have some power. 4.88's i think are the way to go witha 2.5l and 33's like myself. Good luck with the gears [addsig]

are 4.56 better than 4.88 off road and on road?how much do a set of gear for the front and back cost and how hard are they to install?[addsig]

Back