HELP front end clicking in 4x4

bugleboy

I went on a trail ride through the FL swamp yesterday and noticed a loud slow racheting sound while accelerating while 4hi and 4low were engaged, the sound went away when I went back to 2hi. I was under the jeep today and the diff levels are both where they are supposed to be and there was no obvious wear and tear or fluid spray that I could see anywhere. Im new to this so I could use some pointers to try and locate the source of the sound. 2015 jku sport with 3 inch bds lift and 32 inch tires. Any help greatly appreciated I am driving 300 miles later this week on a road trip and want to make sure nothing breaks on the way there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ps. The clicking only seems to happen when the drive train is "under load" once I maintain speed and am not accelerating the clicking stops.

with 3 inch lift, first look at universal joints second carefully run it with - one end at a time - on jack stands. third, check all gear boxes for low level oil. better -- take it to your jeep mechanic. vin

Agree
U-joints. Specifically in the axels.
To check them you crawl under the jeep with the engine off. Grab the Front drive shaft and rock it back and forth while looking at the u-joint. It should all move as one unit. No play. Same for the axels.

Second check wheel bearings.

Report back what you did and if you did or didn’t find anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

Agree
U-joints. Specifically in the axels.
To check them you crawl under the jeep with the engine off. Grab the Front drive shaft and rock it back and forth while looking at the u-joint. It should all move as one unit. No play. Same for the axels.

Second check wheel bearings.

Report back what you did and if you did or didn’t find anything.

Driveshaft feels tight turns about a quarter inch each direction as one unit with no play. Checked bearings without tearing into it, I jacked it up and "man handled" both front tires and there was no play, there are no visible cracks in any of the metal and all rubber boots appear intact I wanted to tackle this one myself for the experience but given that I still have a power train warranty for the next 40,000 I guess Ill leave it to the pros and make an appointment with the dealer
a21b5efcbdc389f9793eadb2ed2e6cb5-1.jpg

Does it click only on turns, or when going in a straight line?

I was getting a squeak when in 4WD - everything felt OK until I took the driveshaft out and poked around:

20526d1427583625-think-i-ve-found-my-4wd-squeak-jeep-wrangler-ujoint.jpg

Clicking is constant when accelerting, straight line or turning, im baffled

Here is a video where you can hear the clicking

Dealership confirms our suspicions, front driveshaft was worn where it attaches to the T case (not at the joint which was a surprise to me)

Are you saying the driveshaft yoke is wallowed out? or something else?

Two weeks back ordered on the driveshaft :( is there any kit that will let me correct the stock driveshaft angle when I get it back or will i just need to bite the bullet and get an aftermarket one. I have about 3in of lift so I forsee this happening again in the next 40k

Adjustable control arms help roll the axel reducing stress in joints.

Id look at what limits droop. You want the springs (and control arms)to be the limiter. Not the shocks, brake lines, or drive shaft.

Id have to look but i recall some using a rear shaft in the front for its length. Cant recall is it was only some modes or lifts...

Back