2010 jk 6 speed fluid

buttons276

I’ve had a 2010 rubicon with the 6 speed for about 3-4 weeks I guess. I’m just going through and changing all the fluid so I know when it’s done. The 6 speed transmission is already clanky so I want to put the best stuff I can in it. Jeep says to use only their stuff. I’ve read a lot of people have had noise disappear after putting in the AMSOIL sycromesh. I’ve heard the royal purple actually made some worse. Anyone had any experience changing to synthetic? Should I just go with the factory stuff? What do you guys think?

The only time i heard of changing trans fluid with the correct fluid resulting in issues was when the fluid was so overdue damage was already done. The new fluid highlighted the issue.
Also when draining fluid only ~30% is exchanged. You have to do this 3 times to get ~85% old fluid exchanged. You want to di this if the old fluid is really contaminated. Drive the vehicle 100 mi between. Not sure if you could flush it like some vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
I didn’t say using the correct fluid would make anything worse. The correct fluid Jeep calls for is the Mopar fluid. My question was basically had anyone switched to the AMSOIL stuff and had any improvement

I think what your thinking of is sometimes with an automatic transmission if your starting to have problems changing the fluid could make it worse. Doesn’t happen so much with manual transmissions

Wouldn't a 2010 6 speed be a manual? My 2010 jk is a 4 speed automatic. Unlike an automatic a manual is pretty straightforward and easy to replace virtually all of the fluid.

I think what your thinking of is sometimes with an automatic transmission if your starting to have problems changing the fluid could make it worse. Doesn’t happen so much with manual transmissions

I didn’t catch the “6 speed” when replying. So yah changing is easier.

I have not used Royal Purple nor Amsoil nor Red Line. But if they meet Chrysler standard MS-9224, it will work. You will find opinions vary all over with no real standout.

But the comment on new fluid pointing out issue still stands. Yes autos have various channels, clutches and switches that wear. Manual transmissions like my NSG370 has brass components that wear and corrode easier. That is why synchromesh is recommended.
When fluid is not changed it to becomes acidic. Same for manual transmissions. Old acidic fluid will corrode and wear components quicker. It also has different viscosity and heat capacity ...

Point: Being you just got the trans you don't know the history and damage may be done. Changing the fluid is the right step. Just don't jump on the fluid if noises/issues quickly show up.

Last edited:
Back