Rusted sway bar

JPNinPA

I'll post pics soon but has anyone run into having a rusted sway bar? I'm redoing the suspension bushings and removed the front sway bar. It rusted under the bushing only. The bar measures 30.8mm but once the rust was scraped off it measures 29.2mm.
I ordered a new one cause I can't put it back on. If I scrape it down I'm not sure how much will be left.

IMG_0366.JPG
Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

Maybe I'm looking at the pic wrong but it doesn't appear that bad to me, I'd probably just sand it down and paint it ..... but I haven't seen it in person. Rust under the vehicle is pretty common where they salt the roads.

You are correct it doesn't look bad. But I purchased a 30mm bushing and now have a 29mm bar. Plus I didn't sand it all down just scraped it. God knows how thin it will once cleaned up. Then you have to ask how well it will work or will it snap if flexed (I doubt)

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

New pics
Once cleaned up center area 30.8 bushing area after wire brush is 28.5mm.
IMG_0373.JPG

To the left is the collar from granger. Asked for 1-1\4 got 30mm. Looks like it will work. Not tightened down.

IMG_0372.JPG

Working on getting the M10 button head screws out of the disconnects. Stripped the hex head. :-/
Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

Ah I see what you mean

Following

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

New sway bar and added the collars it turns out they rub on the frame and don’t sit tight to the bushing. Have to keep it on the outside cause the inside has the brake lines. Dont want to crush or rub them.
JKS site suggests rerouting the brake lines.

Post pics tomorrow. Got caught in the rain before finishing.

Not done need to move the brake line.
Going back and P.O.R 15 painting the frame. Then starting to use that under spray Terry uses.
IMG_9994.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Back