Error code P0430 Bank 2 on 09 Wrangler Unlimited

captmrose

So my check engine light came out. Hooked up the scanner and got the P0430 Bank 2 code. Is replacing the O2 sensor first step? Should I do both? Best replacement one to use? Glad it came on because I was down 2 quarts of oil. Just changed it three weeks ago and all this happened while my daughter was driving it and was 2 hours away. Luckily since this Jeep has burned oil from 1000 miles on we keep it in the vehicle. Jeep has 133K miles. My daughter has basically kidnapped it as hers so I'm concerned about the oil loss. Nothing on the ground and drain plug was tight. Anyone have a crystal ball that can tell me if I'm looking at needing new engine soon??? THANKS!

First reset the code and see if it comes back. Once in a while codes get set and stay lit after the condition is gone.

Second check for an exhaust leak. Easy way is using a shop vac to blow up the exhaust on a cold engine and you feel for leaks by the O2 and manifold... Exhaust bolts do loosen. Esp last bolt on the engine.

Check O2 wiring and connector conditions. Pinched or cooked wire will set this code.

Pull the o2s and inspect. They should look clean and round not soot, oiled or damaged in any way.

While they are out shine a flashlight in one hole and look for light in the other. Where should be some light. None blocked cat, lots no cat.

Use only OEM sensors. NTK
Once you make a change reset codes and see if it comes back.
If you could get a code reader that you could see o2 switching this would help. Pre cat fast and post slow switching.

Clear codes by engine off, unhooking the positive cable from the battery and ground foe a few seconds. 30 seconds later reconnect.

To reset the PCM do the Same but add turning the headlights on and off after reconnect then start.

With the oil loss you may have a clogged, damaged cat and O2. You will want to fix that,
Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Oil loss

Do you get blue smoke out the exhaust?
Pull the plugs and inspect. pics help. They should look light grey. If oily and black you are burning oil.
With the plugs out do a compression test. They should be above 130 and within 15 of one another.
Once complete pour a cap full (tsp) of oil in each cylinder. Repeat the test. If the compression goes up it is the rings and Pistons. If it stayed the same and low it is the valves.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back