Need upgrade advice

NCK

I’ve got a ‘95 wrangler and want to lift it slightly and put bigger tires on. It’s totally stock, and I’m wanting to keep a factory ride. I won’t be crawling over any rocks or mud bogging with it but it is used as a hunting rig and used around the farm checking fence and cattle. I’m guessing a 2” lift and 31” tires is what would work for me but ultimately I have no idea. There’s no 4x4 clubs or “lift shops” here and not really many Jeep wranglers around for me to compare to, which leads me here! I’ve read a lot of back and forth on suspension lift vs body lifts and haven’t really come up with a one is better than the other. So some insight would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I would like to stay under $500 for the lift and I am thinking a 2” but not really for sure.

Stock tires are 235/75R15, I’m going for little taller stance and beefier look so just not sure if 31” tires with 16” rims along with 2” lift will raise it too much or just right. Was just wondering if anyone of you folks out there upgraded in a similar fashion.

Two inches to 2.5 in it is then. Any more then that, like >3" and there is more you will be changing. Plus $$ Definitely at 4" and up becomes $$$.

With 2.5 in you can fit 32 maybe 33 in tires. See link below.
You will need wheels with 3.75 back spacing or spacers that get you to 3.75 equivalent. Without it the tires will rub when you turn. I don't know if any still make 32x9.5 or 33x9.5 anymore but the skinner tires will not rub. Maybe SS bias tires.
And taller tires will put your speedometer off. If you care there are speedo gears you could change to correct for bigger tires.

https://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-10.htm

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
taller tires will put your speedometer off. If you care there are speedo gears you could change to correct for bigger tires.

For cable driven speedos they sell a little gizmo that goes between the end of the cable and where it attaches to the outside of the transmission. You need to know how much it's off before you order one.

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated and the link to the Quadratec page was exactly what I was looking for. Last question do you suppose I would need wheel spacers for 31s? After looking at the link and tire rack.com tire chart I think that’s what I’ll go with.

According to rough country backspacing is needed. However i ran 33x9.5 without rubbing. 33x10.5 rub at full turn with 5in backspacing. So 31x10.5 may be fine. Could do it in phases. The rubbing would be on the springs or control arms in my place

Spacers will work if you like the wheels you have. Steel rims are as much as or close to the cost of spacers

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Just to throw my two cents in. When I had my CJ (it also had a leaf spring suspension), I was worried that it would ride hard after lifting it. It turns out that when I replace the worn out factory suspension with new leaf springs it rode much better.

Yeah I guess that was my next question- do you guys prefer body lifts or suspension lifts? i am a mechanic by trade and neither one seem real difficult to install but figuring out which is the best application is the challenge. I’ve read that body lifts will cause a gap between the cab and bumpers that may be unattractive.

Personally Id go suspension then body. As mentioned id not go more than 1 in body lift. Too much stress on the bolts. Ive seen and heard of bodies slipping and falling off with 2+ greater of body lift. Plus it will cause issues with shifting the transfer case and there are fixe$$.
1 in body lift is barley noticeable. If , like me, you have a manual trans the body lift causes issues with shifting. You will need to either mod the fan shroud or add a 1 in motor lift. There are good youtube vid on the process.

I just replaced a 10+ yr old lift and notice an improved ride. And i fo mot have s body lift.

You could cut the tub and fenders to stuff bigger under and keep low center of gravity COG. Or hi line the front. Though you likely fit 33x10.5 on 3.75 “ backspacing easily. That is as long as you don’t disconnect sway bars and go high articulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Hey guys newbie here again! Been doing research and I’ve got some more questions. I’m kind of set on 2.5” RC lift with some 32” sitting under me and been reading a lot about regearing the axles and dropping the transfer case. Wanted to know thoughts on it if it’s even necessary to do for no more than I’m planning on doing to it.

What engine, 4cyl or 6 cyl?
What rear gears do you have?

On the TJ A 2.5 in lift didn't need transmission case drop. But a YJ may get more lift with leaf springs. I'd put the lift on then decide.
So by decide I mean look at the shaft angle and rotate the shat looking for binding. Listen for vibration when driving.

Unless someone could give direct experience.

Also in place of a trans drop you could do a 1in engine lift.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Back