Errors P2096 P2098 On 05 TJ Caused By PCM

Pear

I have error codes P2096 and P2098, one for each downstream O2 sensor. It's causing the Jeep to run rich.

I replaced the O2 sensors with NTK, and a dealership confirmed they were working fine (but I still had the MIL).

Then I found a TSB for my Jeep that says errors 2096 and 2098 will show erroneously, and a flash is required to fix it.

I checked all the local dealerships, and none have a working DRB to do the update.

I can't really afford a new PCM (reman, $500-$750 and up).

A few places suggested "Performance Tuning" shops; stating they should have the equipment to do an update.

One place suggested a SuperChips type programmer; saying it should overwrite the PCM with the manufacturer's latest programming as a base (effectively 'flashing' it). He added there'd be extra value as it would not only fix the MIL, but also allow other tweaks.

I also read about software you can install that let's you connect to the PCM via a go-between and cable. The software will allow you to ignore the 2 downstream O2 sensors (amongst other things).

Can anyone confirm that a programmer will overwrite the PCM, thereby getting rid of the MIL?

Is it better to go the software path of disabling the sensors? Will that cause emissions issues?

Are there any other affordable options or better ideas?

I had these codes once when I ran out of gas. Fill up premium and add injector cleaner.

There is no guarantee on anything. But being there is a TSP there is a good chance it will work.
"downstream fuel system 1/2 lean. With probable causes: exhaust leak, engine mechanical fault, 02 sensor fault, or fuel contamination"

Where do you live that there us only one jeep dealer? They should perform this for free. Call Chrysler/jeep direct and ask for a dealer with the tools.

Have you reset the PCM?

What RPM do you idle at after reset?

Have you checked for a vac leak or an exhaust leak?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
I had these codes once when I ran out of gas. Fill up premium and add injector cleaner.
There is no guarantee on anything. But being there is a TSP there is a good chance it will work.
"downstream fuel system 1/2 lean. With probable causes: exhaust leak, engine mechanical fault, 02 sensor fault, or fuel contamination"
Where do you live that there us only one jeep dealer? They should perform this for free. Call Chrysler/jeep direct and ask for a dealer with the tools.
Have you reset the PCM?
What RPM do you idle at after reset?
Have you checked for a vac leak or an exhaust leak?

The Answers To Your Questions

I've ran injector cleaner, and the fuel pump's been replaced (so the tank's been drained and cleaned).

I've worked with a great exhaust shop to find an exhaust leak - there is none.

I've replaced the O2 sensors with OEM, and had a dealership confirm they were working correctly.

I'm confused how you got "Where do you live that there us only one jeep dealer?" - I've physically been to 5 Jeep dealerships, 3 mom-n-pop shops and 1 mega shop concerning this issue. None have a working DRB.

I've reset the PCM more times than I care to admit.

Normal warm idle is around 700 RPM. After a reset, the warm idle is around 800-900.

I've used a fog machine to find leaks - there are none.

-----

Issue Recap

I have a MIL for codes 2096 and 2098 (downstream O2 sensors).

I've done everything for the O2 sensors I can think of - short of reflashing the computer (see above).

Chrysler has a Technical Service Bulletin that says codes 2096/2098 are erroneously stored for my Jeep. A flash fixes it.

Here is the Bulletin:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fordguy4u/2008-09-22_175142_TSB_18-028-06.pdf

An "old style DRB" is required to do the flash.

No dealership near me (5) has a working old style DRB. One came close, but they couldn't get to DRB to accept the update from technet.

I can try contacting Chrysler since there's a TSB, but the Jeep is 14 years old (out of warranty, 2nd owner) and they purposefully stopped building the PCM years ago.

-----

Possible Solutions

Buying a PCM. Cost: $550-$750 and up. I can't afford it. I prefer to do the software update (PCM flash).

One shop suggested "Performance Tunning" places; saying they might have the equipment to do the update. Not sure on cost, should be a few hundred.

Another shop suggested a "SuperChips" type Programmer; saying it would overwrite the PCM with the manufacturer's latest software as a base (plus any tweaks I added). Example: superchips.com Cost: $300.

A forum post suggested tuning software you install on your PC (laptop) that connects to the ODB via a go-between. The software can bypass the 2 downstream O2 sensors (thereby getting rid of the MIL) in addition to any tweaks I make. Example: hptuners.com/mpvi2/ Cost: $400

-----

My Questions

1. Can anyone confirm a Programmer (superchips style) would overwrite the PCM - and thereby get rid of my MIL?

2. Can anyone confirm the Software (hptuners style) would overwrite the PCM - and thereby get rid of my MIL?

3. Are there places to buy a PCM under $400 (the top-end cost to flash my PCM) that will input my VIN, and someone can vouch for? (I doubt it, probably best to focus on Chrysler/Programmers/Software.)

4. Any other ideas or work-arounds under $400 to correctly fix the MIL - besides unplugging the light, or buying a used moped?

Thanks for the prompt feedback. I misread how any shops you went to for help. I still suggest calling Jeep directly for an equipped service shop with DRB programmer.

I'm not aware of any inexpensive used PCM . Most I've seen are 600-1200. And are harder to come by.

By reset PCM I don't mean just battery disconnect but
1.) Disconnect the POSITIVE battery Terminal and touch it to ground for 30 seconds to discharge the PCM capacitors, which maintain the Adaptive Memory.
2.) Reconnect the Battery Cable.
3.) Turn Ignition Switch to the “On” position but DO NOT start the engine.
4.) Turn Headlight On.
5.) Turn Headlights Off.
6.) Turn Ignition Key Off.

This clears adaptive memory.

Others can chime in.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Yup...

I've got that same text written on an old sheet of paper out in the garage - it's what I follow to do the reset.

(I keep directions for things I do somewhat often on paper out there - like an oil change etc..)

I doubt Jeep is going to do anything - they left the TJ PCM thing in the dust - and blew it with the 05-06 PCMs

I'll get it figured out - thank you for your help!!

Yup...

I've got that same text written on an old sheet of paper out in the garage - it's what I follow to do the reset.

(I keep directions for things I do somewhat often on paper out there - like an oil change etc..)

I doubt Jeep is going to do anything - they left the TJ PCM thing in the dust - and blew it with the 05-06 PCMs

I'll get it figured out - thank you for your help!!

Ok
Id still try calling. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Worst they can say is no.

Try calling this place. They refurbish PCMs

Iv seen this placed used a lot and read in other forums dealers are out of stock on TJ PCM.
https://store.allcomputerresources.com/info.html

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Well - there's some issues with 05-06 PCMs, I don't think they can be rebuilt. I did order one from a different place, I'm going to wait till I find out how it works before I mention where I got it at.

No one throws hate here.

Wish you luck.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back