2003 wrangler 2.4 engine swap with 06

Wmcquaig

First time posting and I apologize in advance if this has already been covered.

My 2003 wrangler 2.4 engine blew on me a few months back. I have been searching for a replacement engine without draining the bank for awhile now. I have a friend who is willing to sell me a 2.4 that came from his 2006, he did a V8 swap. It only has 33k miles on it and he'll sell it to me for next to nothing. I have been trying to do the research on weather the swap will work. The biggest issue I am running into is the fact that the Crankshaft position sensor is located on the drivers side of the block to the rear ( my 03 is on passenger side next to oil filter). From what I have gathered the sensor also reads differently than my 2003? My question is, would my original ECU be able to read the 2006 CPS? Is there anything else I have to watch out for when using a 2006 engine in a 2003?

I appreciate any help I can get!

I'm not the guy to answer your questions. I will say that you should get the original ECU if you have the chance. I don't know what it cost for your ECU, but it's about $1000 for my 2005 ECU, and they are specific to the setup you have (i.e. one for a 4.0l auto, another for a 4.0l manual, etc).

And I'd also say there was a refresh on the Wrangler design between 03 and 04 - the tops for an 04-06 are different than the top for a 03 and earlier. I'm not sure what else is different.

That's what I figured. Unfortunately I am unable to get the ECU from the 2006. I'm thinking if I go this route then I'm going to have to acquire everything from a 2006. I was just hoping there may be a way to use what I already have.

Back