This isn’t good is it?

TJS27

Front D side.
25BF8E9F-92A8-4730-BA5E-6E2630837F65.jpegD8432697-3B1D-437D-B5F0-4BC56DC34AEE.jpeg

The more I look the more i find. A lot of work done so far before I got it but it need a lot of tlc to be right. Not sure how hard it would be to replace a u joint here but any help much appreciated. It’s not exactly a drive shaft.....it is, but...

Looks like the caps are broken off that u-joint, and the needle bearings are exposed. I've never seen anything like that. You probably just need a new u-joint. I would do both sides though, as they are likely the same age. $40 and you should be good.

Maybe sand and paint while you're in there

Those Ujoint's aren't hard to replace - the same difficulty as replacing them in your driveshaft. When you pull out the axles, try to keep them clean, so that when you put them back in you don't put a bunch of dirt and debris in there.

I believe you just unbolt the hub, then you can pull the axles out. It may be worthwhile to spray some penetrating oil on them tonight, then do the work tomorrow.

There are axle seals inside the axle that the axle shaft sits in, try not to damage them when you put the axle back in. The axle shaft goes down the middle of the axle tube, and there is essentially a rubber washer on the other end (near the diff) that holds the fluid in the diff, and keeps it from leaking out the end of the axle tube. When you go to reinsert the axle shaft, you'll want to try and hold it to the center of the tube, and push it through that axle seal. This sounds worse than it is - just don't beat the axle back in with a hammer and you'll be fine.

Ok thanks for the help guys!!!
inmigjt want to consider all u joints as I’m sure they are all same age as well.

If you are going that route. Some companies offer a u-joint package for a vehicle. Saved $20 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back