'99 Jeep Wrangler TJ radiator issue

Thurst

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but I honestly didnt know where else to go because i cant find anything online.

So my clueless brother overfilled the radiator overflow to an EXTREME and blew off the coolant drain plug on my jeep. I just got the correct piece, only to realize that the part that the drain plug screws in to is GONE. I dont know if he tried messing with it or if it came off with the plug, but I do not know what that piece is called or where to find it.

The radiator can hold no coolant right now because the plug can't actually seal it. Does anyone know the name of the piece that the drain plug needs to screw into?

Edit: After some more digging, it seems as though the piece is called a retaining clip, but I cannot for the life of me find anywhere to obtain a new one

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

So I don't know if I should delete this or not, but I figured out that with the piece that came out was connected to the radiator itself, meaning I have to replace the entire radiator.

Yes the entire radiator needs to be replaced. However overfilling the overflow or expansion tank will not cause an issue.

The radiator failed from either a weak point or a bad radiator cap.
The cap is s pressure release cap so as the engine heats the liquid expands raiding pressure until the cap opens. Then fluid pushes into the expansion tank. When engine cools the fluid is drawn back in.

There may be other issues but the cap was bad or stick,

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

A shop might be able to put on a new connector, but most likely you are looking at a new radiator.

As noted above, I don't see how filling the radiator could damage it...any excess will just over flow.

Check to make sure you don't have a blown gasket that is allowing cylinder pressure to pressurize the cooling system.

Checkout RockAuto as they should have the radiator in stock at a good price. Google RA online for 5%off code that can help save on shipping.

Seems maybe the cap wasn’t put back on in the correct position ? I can’t imagine blowing out that plug unless it was 90% water and a weak radiator. 🤔

So I don't know if I should delete this or not, but I figured out that with the piece that came out was connected to the radiator itself, meaning I have to replace the entire radiator.

IMG_1502.JPG

You have to appreciate this site, Talk Jeeps so many discussions over issues to make yours Great.

I have never had any issues with this place.

You have to appreciate this site, Talk Jeeps so many discussions over issues to make yours Great.

I have also used that site multiple times for various vehicles over the yrs.

Back