Electric Fan Question

flyguy

Hi all,

Quick and easy question. I recently installed a electric fan on my `97 TJ. When installing I went direct to the battery so the fan kicks on at any time. Any thoughts as to what I should wire the fan into so that it only has juice when the ignition switch is on? Is any one thing better than another? Thanks for your help.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hi flyguy,

I will make a few quick suggestions as you did not mention any safety factors. I will not assume that you don't need the help. I hope this doesn't insult you. First, a fuse in the power supply to the fan is very important. Those fans can fail and the results is not pretty. Second, there is not much benefit in running a cooling fan on the radiator when the coolant is not circulating through the engine. The coolant will not become exothermic (produce it's own heat) and over pressure the radiator. Once the cooling flow is stopped, (shutting off the engine) the radiator will start to dissipate heat naturally and cool down. Third, I really do not like the possibility of the cooling fan starting up and running while I am working on a vehicle that is shut off. I skin my knuckles enough and I don't need a fan starting up due to a failed switch. These are the reasons that I personally feel that the cooling fan should be disabled when the key is turned off. Again, this is just food for thought and my personal opinion. And, please don't become offended if you are keeping safety in mind. Just because a person is smart enough to buy a jeep does not give them common sense they need to drive it or work on it.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

10-4 Eddie 4X4!!

I wired mine to an ign source through a thrmostat.

HOWEVER,

In the event that system fails at a most inoppourtune time, I have a redundant system which uses a dash mounted toggle sw direct to the battery in case the thermo system quits on me in the middle of a hard rock trail on an extraordinarily hot day.

[addsig]

No offence taken at all Eddie4x4! I'd much rather you tell me something that I already knew then just take a chance on me knowing.

I have thought about the safety side of it and that's another reason I want to change the fan's power source.

Thanks for the input guys.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back