Racing Stripe Removal

Argyle

Hey all... After going 8 months sans Jeep, Ive realized how wrong I was about being able to live without one. Bought a 93 YJ yesterday, quite a step from my old '63 CJ5, but so far so good. Here's my question, more for general knowledge than anything else: The thing has a thin (1/2") piping sticker around the entire body several inches down from the top of the tub. Its old and cracked and frankly pretty ugly, and after poking at it, the paint underneith seems perfectly intact. Whats the best way solvent-wize to get this strip off without taking out the paint job?[addsig]

I don't know that you can get it off with solvent. If you can get it started, you may just be able to pull it off with your hands, or my may have to carefully use a razor blade. Just know that you may still have a "stripe" of perfect paint on your Jeep though

[addsig]

I run a jeep dealership and we remove stripes a lot. use a heat gun to warm the stripe and then scrape it with something dull like plastic spatule. If you don't have a heat gun use a good hair dryer[addsig]

I run a jeep dealership and we remove stripes a lot. use a heat gun to warm the stripe and then scrape it with something dull like plastic spatule. If you don't have a heat gun use a good hair dryer[addsig]

The first thing I would try is using a heat gun or hair dryer on a low setting.

I took some stripes and decals off with this method and it works quite well. Also if you have any residue left, you can use some final wash (available at a napa auto store) it will remove the film and not harm the paint. But it will remove the wax. So you will have to wax it when your done.

Good Luck

Later

Steve
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Peel off the vinyl with a heat gun/hair dryer & plastic razorblade (look around the bondo section of your Auto Parts store). Then if it leaves residue get some zippo lighter fluid aka naptha. It worked great on my pontiac firebird(no stickers on the jeep) didn't harm the paint at all.

--Mike[addsig]

I had ugly red and grey stripes on my black wrangler too. I they had been cooked on for 9 years when I went to remove them. The parts on the side of the jeep were easy; once started, they peeled off by pulling. The hood was another story. It was baked on. I used a plastic pancake type spatula and some WD-40. It took about 3 hours, some numb fingers, and sore finger nails when there was that one little stubborn piece... every 4 inches. Good luck. The key here is patience... don't ruin your paint.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Many years ago when I was an apprentice Bodyman we used to used a product from 3M for removing woodgrain from Station wagons, it also worked well for removing striping. I don't know if it is still on the market but, you could check with your local Body Shop supply store. I would still try the heat gun and plastic scraper first. It is the cheaper alternative.

[addsig]

Back