Proud New Jeep Owner, Now What?

99TJnTN

Hello everyone,
First of all this is my first post even though I have been reading on this board for about 2 weeks now. I finally decided to join because its a great board and I feel like I can gain a lot of information as well as getting some questions answered and adviced given to me. Anyways...enough of the ranting.

I recently purchased a 1999 Wrangler 4.0L Sport and the only mods that I have made to it so far is improving the sound, mainly because its the only thing that I really know about. I know what you are thinking but I just enjoy listening to good times while driving or wheelin'. I am now looking into some engine modifications. I think I want to get an intake system, bored out throttle body, bored out throttle body spacer kit (if there is such a thing), exhaust, and possibly headers. I don't know much about cars so I need to know the order in which to purchase these parts and some suggestions of which parts to get. I live in TN so I don't think emissions or in fact anything should be a factor since our state is so slack with everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also I am thinking of getting Euroguards, Sidestep bars, bumpers, and a grille guard so any ideas, good companies, and places to buy would be greatly appreciated.

One last thing, I am wanting to build a sub box for my Jeep and I have seen before where people have lifted there back seat about three inches and built a box back there. If anyone has one or has a link of where I can look at one of these I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks again for everyone's time and I look forward to learning many things from this board! [addsig]

With the mods that you have suggested that you wanna do on your Jeep, You have no plans on taking it off road do ya?[addsig]

I do but since its my daily driver as well I want to take care of the engine before I start lifting it and putting larger tires on it. I know it might not be the best thing to do but thats just how I want to do it. Can you give me suggestions on what I am wanting to purchase first? Thanks![addsig]

Hey Come on over to the Erwin area and wheel with us. Ranger 4x4 and myself are your neighbors so come on and lets get the 99tj dirty. heheheh tug[addsig]

I definitely will, thanks for the invite. I go to school in Banner Elk and I have a few other Jeep friends that would come with me, are there good places to go? Right now my Jeep isnt lifted and I haven't wheeled a whole lot, would my Jeep and myself survive, I don't want to hurt my baby, its still new to me? So far I have been wheelin in one of my professors Christmas tree farms, not that technical but its a good place to start out. Do you have any suggestions about my post? Thanks![addsig]

No problem just take a lookat the past post about Jeepz week in Tennessee that is where we wheel. Just found a great trail extention today up in Dixie Creek. I rubbed my belly pan all over these hills in a stocker with negative arch springs so you will have no problems. let me know when you can go and we will meet and go get dirty! I just go back myself and it was a blast. later and good luck tug[addsig]

Well 99 I think your off to a great start here with ole Tug...to lead you on the off roading skills. The best place to start out is to see how your machine performs off road.
Then you can tell yourself what type of off roading to want to do. Checking out the local rigs will give you a good idea of what you need and want to do.
Alot of the vechicel mods are geared towards that type of off roading. No need to have a snorkel type of air box for rock crawling in the desert....lol.
Take a trip down to papa tugs place and take a look at his ride...heck if you like what you see bring a tool kit and try on a few parts...lol
[addsig]

Thanks for the invite Pappa, I will talk to my friends at school and try to schedule something. Thanks for the advice Utah_Jeepster, didn't think about trying the parts on but I would prob ride with someone the first time before just blazing out there. I'm thinking I should go with an intake system first, then throttle body and throttle body spacer kit, and then cat back exhaust? Does this sound right? If not tell me the correct order and also give me some hints on what products to look at![addsig]

Welcome to the board....as a fellow 99 TJ owner, I am looking forward to seeing your mods.........in my opinion (just that, take it or leave it) I would start with going higher if you plan on doing any off roading on a regular basis. You don't have to go far...just get at least 30" tires with an aggressive tread pattern.That would be a great place to start and save you from some Belly sliding.

As a fellow participant in the 2003 Jeepz Tennessee Run, I would also like to say that I envy you and the fact that you live in such a beautiful state with so many trails to ride........I recomend you meet up with Ranger and Tug, as you will never meet nicer more friendly people anywhere......They also have the skill that it takes to teach new off roaders the basics and not pressure them. I think we did a good job with WranglerWhat.......

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Actually for some reason I believe I already have 31" tires on my Jeep. I guess those aren't stock from what people are saying but thats what my friends told me who have owned Jeeps and would know what size tires I want. Besides the offroad mods what engine mods should I look at tackling first? Thanks![addsig]

I would recommend you leave the engine alone. The 4.0 engine is more than capable of getting the job done bone stock. Air boxes, thottle bodies and the like (despite advertiser's claims) dont make big enough gains at the rpms we need them too. IMHO its a waste of money. Typically any TJ that feels sluggish is due to the wrong gearing for the size tires being run.

I would recommend two mods right off the bat that will increase your jeep's off road abilities without costing you much $.

1.) Make your own sway bar disconnects (essentially you want to
replace the bolt on the bottom of the swaybar link with a pin. Then when off road you can disconnect the sway bar to allow for increased suspension travel. ONce disconnected just tie the sway bar up out of the way (zip ties work if you dont feel creative) This simple mod will blow your mind with the increase in your rig's capability and you can do it for about $10 at the home depot). Please be safe and DO NOT DRIVE DISCONNECTED ON PAVED ROADS.

image-missing.png
Thanks to Tango for the pic

2.) Rubicon Express hand throttle $35 (I'm assuming your TJ is a manual). This allows you to easily use the brake, clutch, and gas all at the same time. Invaluable on steep climbs (especially if you have to stop in the middle to pick the next line), also eliminates the right foot to gas pedal bounce that often happens when you go over a big bump. Later on this is nice for helping run higher rpms while you winch.

Eventually you'll want new tires (just about any tire with the word MUD in the name is good), suspension, body armor & skids, new gears & lockers, oh boy the wish list will grow and grow.

Hope this helps. Oh and buy a large bottle of sunscreen, new sunglasses, and that CD you've been wanting and go have some fun on and off road. :-D

cmoore[addsig]

This is great advice and I can show you how to do the hand throttle with about 10 bucks and an hour or less labor when you come over some time. We did wranglerwhat94's hand throttle in no time one evening while he was here. Tug[addsig]

How come everyone here tells me to leave the engine alone? I know people here have intake systems, throttle bodies, throttle body spacers, and an exhaust. Its not that my Jeep is sluggish, I would just like some more power especially since I live in the mountains and you can always use a little more power climbing the mountains everyday. My car is also an everyday car so I don't want to do too much lifting and the such since the Jeep won't ride as smoothly as before when it was stock. Please someone also give me suggestions on what I was wanting to know! Don't get me wrong, I love everyone's input they are giving but I don't think anyone has given me input and advice on what I requested and I know you guys know about what I am asking for. Keep the comments coming though it is all a learning experience and I am gaining valuable knowledge with every post![addsig]

How come everyone here tells me to leave the engine alone? I know people here have intake systems, throttle bodies, throttle body spacers, and an exhaust

This is why:

1.) The stock airbox, throttle body and intake manifold do not have restrictions that can be improved upon enough in the rpms the engine was designed to run (1000-2500 rpm) to even be noticed.

2.) aftermarket air filters (like the K&N) dont filter trail dust very well (trust me I had one).

3.) the exhaust side is similar to the intake side with the exception that the manifold has a design flaw and is prone to crack (when it does I suggest you buy a Banks header).

No offense but the 4.0 is not easily improved upon with bolt ons. If you want the rig to pull harder and feel faster get lower ratio gears (higher number) in the axles. My 4.0L motor is stock and will climb just about everything. It has plenty of torque to turn my 35x12.50" tire's just fine.

cmoore[addsig]

Geez, guys... what's a guy got to do to get a question answered around here?
99 all that stuff you mentioned will do wonders for around town performance -- i'm actually in the process of doing some of the same. If i were you i would start with the exhaust... I went with the banks cat back system (I'm in Pa and we cant really get away with removing the catalytic converter) If you can remove it (or swap it for a high-flow cat) then you could also add a header (If you have to stick with the stock cat then a header won't do much for you).. Next I would change the intake-- you can search the threads for intake opinions (there are a bunch) but the general consensus that i have seen is that the K&N FIPK is way overpriced-- and most people would prefer just swapping a k&n filter into their stock airbox. I got an airtube from rusty's offroad (rustysoffroad.com) that replaces the airbox and uses a 5.5" K&N cone filter -- it was reasonably priced and has really helped my motor breathe. With the intake and exhaust changed I have noticed a strong increase in power, a much better sound, and a 3 mpg increase in fuel economy. I am still researching the throttle body spacer, but that may be next on my list of things to do. Other things i've considered doing is adding a jet performance chip (www.jetchip.com), and a 180 degree thermostat.
With that all said, I did this stuff first because I have some experience with muscle cars and could do it all by myself without havinbg any jeep downtime (my daily driver) -- The lift and suspension work will require some help from friends and will be completed when we can coordinate schedules.. Hope this helps.. [addsig]

Thank you so much jterp! I have appreciated everyone's replies to my post but you actually answered the question that I had. Currently Tennessee doesn't have emissions testing so I am basically free to choose anything so sounds like I should go with a high flow cat back?[addsig]

Back