***First Jeep Stock 1963 cj-5 Advice Needed***

jeeprostyle

Hello fellow jeepers. I just turned 16 last month and i wanted to get a summer project so decided to buy me an old cj-5, my personal favorite of all jeep models. Its pretty much stock and is in need of a restoration. It has the stock 4 cyl. f-head and runs strong. I just got done building my little shop car port of the side of my dads garage to begin tearing it apart and fixing it up to be my little offroading machine . . . eventually.

The first thing i want to do is the body work/interior work, seemed like the easiest thing for a beginner to start with. I tore out all the interior crap the guy before me had in it and pretty much trashed it all except the roll bar, it was all garbage so no worries. Im not quite sure how to take the tub off but im gonna try and figure it out here soon so i can sand it down to get rid of the surface rust, do some minor body work and get it ready to be painted and such. I was thinking of putting that bed liner in the tub to water proof it and make it rust resistant but im not sure if this is the way to go.

Any advice on where to start with restoring this jeep and what to do would be really helpful. I dont really have much for money, no job = no money but im workin on that . . im still trying to pay off the original 700 dollars the jeep cost me . I would eventually like to put a 3 - 4 inch suspension lift with a 2 inch body lift so i can put some bigger tires on it, 33 - 35 inch would be nice, but im not sure if my little four cylinder has enough power , or what i need to make it have enough power with gears and such. My dad has restored some old trucks so he knows what he is doing but he has never restored a jeep so were kinda fishin in the dark. Thanks for any advice, im located in Lake Havasu City, Arizona just so you know.
:-O :-D :-O :-D :-O[addsig]

Well welcome first of all and I hope you will have as much fun
on your cj-5 as I did on mine....
To take the tub of there will be several bolts that go through
the tub to the frame body mounts ...take all of those off..
Then you will need to disconect the steering, brake, clutch,
and gas pecies from the fire wall ..Watch out for the throtle
cable
You will need to disonect your oil pressure guage, main wiring harness
from the fire wall, speed o meter from the transmission..
take off all the boots on the shifters and that should be almost it
just make sure to check for any wires....
I would do a herculiner for the tub and make sure you get all the rust off....
If you have any other major concerns or questions give me a hollar
and I will try to help....... :-D :-D GOOD LUCK :-D :-D

Also soke all those bolts in PB blaster a few days in advance and keep doing it
all the way up to removing the bolts.... :-D

edited by: jhiggins, Jul 08, 2003 - 11:43 PM[addsig]

Thanks Bro, I'll work on takin that body off pronto, just one more question, are me and my dad going to be able to lift the tub up and off the frame onto some sawhorses?? Hercu-liner is what i was looking at, looks like the best stuff for the job, ill proboly just spray it on, but theres plenty of prep work to be done. One more thing, whats that PB plaster your talkin about?? Thats a new concept to me, i've just been soaking bolts i couldnt get off in some stuff like wd-40, seems to be loosening it up and doing the trick. :-O :-D :-O :-D :-O [addsig]

I lifted the tub of my cj-5 off by myself and PB blaster
is something that comes in a whhite can with yellow letters
that will eat wd-40 alive ...you can get it at wal-mart....and
other places.... :-O :-D :-O [addsig]

Sounds good to me, if you did it by yourself im sure me and my dad can figure it out. Thanks for the advice man, greatly appriated. Im off to bed now its 3:15 AM here and im wasted from this forum addiction, just signed up an hour ago and im on a role . . lol pyce out and any other advice would be nice. :-O :-D :-O :-D :-O [addsig]

Yes, Use PB Blaster. You can get it at the auto part stores. It works much faster than WD-40!! :-D [addsig]

ALright, i guess im getting the thumbs up on PB Blaster and hercu-lining the tub. What about that stock 4 cylinder, is that going to be enough power for me to get up them steep hills we have on the washes in arizona??? :-O :-D :-O :-D :-O [addsig]

Depends on how it is geared and what size tires....
if you want I got a 304 V-8 I will sell you... :-D [addsig]

Yea a nice V-8 would be nice for power. . . . but im poor, so thats out of the question. What would you recommend for gears for this stock 4 cylinder that would be good for some offroading, i would proboly have 33's for tires but im not quit sure yet. Where would be a good place to get these gears?? :-O :-D :-O :-D :-O [addsig]

Look at 4wheel parts for gears and they can give you
a precise chart for what gears ......

If you want the 304 and the transmission and transfer cas I will '
sell it to you for 500.00 for all of it... :-O [addsig]

Nice Deal Man, but I think i'll stick to the 4 cylinder for now. . . until i see how it preforms, but i still gotta restore the jeep. If the time comes that i want to do the swap i'll know who to hit up :-O :-D :-O :-D :-O [addsig]

A good place to hunt out gearing is flying high on AZ ave and Southern ave, in mesa and desert offroaders on Exstention and broadway...both places will help you identify your axles and gearing nessasary for your lift, tires and motor.
Hope there still there only left Chandler AZ three years ago...lol.
They did a nice job on my 73 scout II (6 inch lift) and 98 Dodge 1500 (10 inch lift).

edited by: Utah_jeepster, Jul 09, 2003 - 12:08 PM[addsig]

Back