what to look for in buying a used jeep?

do0ks

im about to dive in, head first, to the wonderful world of jeeps! ive been admiring the car for some time now and finally have the money to buy a used one.

Ok, im about to look at a 87 YJ tommorow... possibly buying it if its in the condition the owner SAID it is. Now, is there any specific problem i need to look for? im going to go over the obvious such as body rust, engine condition, car records, etc... but is there any hidden problems i need to be aware of on this year jeep?

Thanx fellas.

jim

ps. the owner said that the car has 45k miles on the chasis and 25k on the engine. he's asking for $2200.[addsig]

Well, where should I start. Lets see. First I would pay particular attention to the drive train and 4WD. If you have problems there, that will be the most costsly to fix. Second, is probably the engine. Check for oil leaks. Pay attention to any leaks near the bell housing (possible worn real seal) and oil leaks near the valve cover. After those two items the rest is a matter of what you don't mind fixing. RUST
image-missing.png
, is just part of life for anyone buying a jeep. Check the windshield frame for rust, floorboards, rear cargo area, etc. The main thing is to drive it and listen for anything that doesn't sound right. Personally I would rather have a pre-85 CJ7, (real jeeps have round headlights). But all jeeps are good. Good luck
image-missing.png

Sincerely

Steve

"INDIANAJEEP"
image-missing.png
[addsig]

definately look for rust under the carpet, especially under the pedals and on the frame. also, don't settle for a 2.5L.[addsig]

45K on the chasis and 25K on the motor.

Well if the motor was replaced at 20,000 miles,this jeep maybe abused and tired.

look this jeep over very carefully,check all fluids you can

check for rust around the roll bar on the floor too.

[addsig]

I just bought my most recent jeep about 2 years ago. I found that most jeeps owned by guys have been off road and beaten up a little and most (not all) owned by women haven't been off road so they're usually in a little better condition.... just make sure the oil has been changed. I also found that for pretty much the same asking price some people had only a soft top and some had the soft, bikini and hard tops so make sure it has all the tops or bargin him down for not having one of the tops.[addsig]

My buddy has an 87 with the 2.5. All I can say is stay away from the 2.5. Especially stay away from the 2.5/ Peugot transmission combo. Try to at least find the Aixin. (spling) I dont want to tell you not to buy a Jeep now, but I would really try to save some pennies and go for like a 90 and later. It has the better 4.0 motor. Realizing that is money, but "food for thought" :
image-missing.png
[addsig]

be aware that most jeeps are sold for a reason.
if the previous owners liked to think they were mechanics.
who knows what you are buying.
get bone stock if you can and do the mods yourself.

What the others said.

An 87 YJ is a potential nightmare for carb & emissions issues. If you have to pass emissions be carful and insist that you & the seller go to emissions first to make sure it passes before any money changes hands.

Don't be dazzled by shiny paint or fancy wheels. If you find any indication this thing has been rode hard and put away wet, move on. That would include a frame that looks twisted or bent.

Good luck!

be aware that most jeeps are sold for a reason.
if the previous owners liked to think they were mechanics.
who knows what you are buying.
get bone stock if you can and do the mods yourself.

Good points guys, but why are you responding to a thread that is almost 6 years old?

Good points guys, but why are you responding to a thread that is almost 6 years old?
because it is interesting and it has good advice.
a thread doesnt have to be 5 minutes old to have worth.
solid information doesnt have an expiration date.
it aint milk!:lol:

Back