taking off the doors

delcochik1

hey, i have a wrangler, and wanted to take the doors off, but i dont know how to do so, and i dont want to screw something up. so, i was wondering if someone could get back to me with some instructions or tips...thanks :-? :-D
image-missing.png
[addsig]

its really easy. There is one bolt for each door. Its more of a theft deterant device than anything. Simply remove the one bolt, and slide the door up and out of the hinges... If its rusty, and giving you trouble, try some wd-40 or even better some PB blaster. Everyone has there own method of loosening up those doors. If you have any trouble , come back and we'll share some.

Welcome to jeepz.com!

edited by: BostonJeep, Jul 20, 2003 - 03:07 PM[addsig]

All I have to do is:eek:pen the door,then just pull the door up off the hinges.Its that simple.[addsig]

I would check with your local laws concerning the removal of your rear veiw mirrors as well. Since the mirrors are attached to the doors (unless you have moved them). The ticket can be pretty stiff. since most state laws say you have to have two diffrent mirrors on a vechicel. 438$ fine here in Utah.[addsig]

In IL you are only required to have one mirror facing rearward, and only need an outside mirror if the rearview on the windshield is obstructed, or have the 'outside mirrors required' restriction on your license.[addsig]

$438 that would really suck. I noticed that the pin that goes in the hinge is very weak on my 01 TJ. I had it for only a couple months and i was tightening the nut on the hinge when i broke the threaded part of the hinge right off!!, so i dont put those nuts back on. I also have the mirror movers and like them alot. I use to have the ones that go right in the hinge when the doors are off, but they were POS's, vibrating and stuff, the mirror movers use the original mirrors, but they put them further back so you cant see out of your passenger mirror when the doors are on. oh well.[addsig]

Also, remember to pull the fuse to the interior lighting if you have a newer Wrangler equipped so. If not, the dome lighting will constantly be on and draining your battery.[addsig]

pullin that wire gets rid of that annoying buzz noise too lol[addsig]

I relied too much on the buzzer when I pulled my fuse and left my lights on all day! Good thing it still started. I had a heck of a time getting my doors off the very first time. My TJ is a 97 and the previous owner probably never took them off. I had to soak them in WD-40 and pull and rock those babies out!!!! It took about a half hour for each door. Then after they were out I just cleaned up the pins with sandpaper and greased them up good. No problems now![addsig]

The TJs have 4 nuts on the doors. or at least mine (03) did. Then Fuse number 4 will fix the lights and buzzer.[addsig]

Yep Yep L33 has it. My 03 has two nuts on each door and then fuse 4 will fix the entry light. I pulled my fuse and almost took the doors off till I read about all this crap concerning mirrors and laws. I want to pull my doors so badly but I need no police checking me out. I have bad luck and if they stopped me they would find a zillion things wrong for some odd reason, I just know it.

Also, due to insurance screw ups I have no proof of Ins on this jeep as of yet. <sigh> Those *#astards.

So, when I find out about maryland mirror laws, my doors are off. Anyone know bout maryland laws or where I can even find them?

:) :-D Hey, offroaded yesterday, didn't get stuck in mud or sand and even helped another newbie (stuck at the entry to the sandpit) get unstuck. Poor dude, he booked soon as we got him out. I think he was embarrased, couldn't have been more than 17 or 18 and in an explorer, not even sure it was 4wd? Oh well, a fun day. :-D [addsig]

LJF-

You need to have side veiw mirrors in maryland,, I dont know what the specific law is (ie 2 facing beck or whatever) but i know you cant get away with just removing them. [addsig]

I guess that there is an advantage to my old shaking, vibrating, CJ mirrors that are mounted to the winshield hinges! :-D [addsig]

I have a 95 YJ, and I just took the bolts out of the door hinges and put them away in a safe place. I leave them out of my doors. It makes it easier to get on and off, and they do not come loose and bounce around off road. [addsig]

Thanks Jterp, I will check into it. Quadratec has some quick connect side mirrors I've seen two different kinds that bolt onto existing stuff.[addsig]

Lady...did some digging and came up with this

§ 22-403. Mirrors.

(a) Motor vehicles - In general.- Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least one mirror located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(b) Same - Registered in this State.- Every motor vehicle registered in this State shall be equipped with an outside mirror on the driver's side located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle and along the driver's side of the vehicle. This subsection does not apply to motorcycles, which are governed by subsection (c) of this section.

(c) Motorcycle.- Every motorcycle shall be equipped with two rearview mirrors, one each attached to the right and left handlebars, which shall meet applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards.

(d) Obstruction of inside view.- Where the view through the inside rearview mirror is obstructed, two outside rearview mirrors are required.

[An. Code 1957, art. 661/2, § 12-403; 1977, ch. 14, § 2; 1999, ch. 645.]

I found this here

Maryland Auto Code

Thought it might help.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

My biggest concern when I first took the doors off my TJ was screwing up the paint. when I take the bolts off I used a thin rag to put between the bolts and the body, and wrapped some around the bolt itself so this way it didnt really get any knicks and scratchs....I know alot of people just throw the bolts out but id like to keep the jeep in the best shape possible to keep the resale value up. ]
A few tips however if you plan on going doorless alot:
Dont leave anything in your jeep that you cant lock up in the glove box or the center console.
Buy a tarp...this summer rain has popped outta everywhere
Dont drive with anything in your left pants pocket...it wont be there at the end of your trip.
Invest in either the half doors of the full zip doors. I've had ALOT of days where its been hot and its great having the doors off, but than when night hits and you drive home youre freezing your butt off.
Those mirrors you can mount to your body are a good idea, but look around and if you see other jeepers going doorless w/o them chances are its no big deal. [addsig]

for those of you wishing to remove your doors and still need your mirrors you can call Mepco 4x4 at 1-800-388-5337 and order some relocators. these little brackets attach to your window hindge and make a place for your exsisting mirrors to attach to. All hardware and bolts for 26$.
BTW Mepco sits right next to Tera-flex MFG plant and has great prices on there stuff.[addsig]

Thanks for the tips and all that info from the maryland auto site (Rob), I really appreciate it!

ZBT, I know what you mean about being cold and wet already and that's with the doors on and the top down. lol I also scratched my paint (owwww) on the first try at taking the doors off, ended that try at once. lol

Just this past weekend I drove a couple of friends down to the local beach (Ocean City, MD) and it was late when we headed down, after 10 p.m. I am getting use to being cooler at night but they froze their behinds off. I carry a mexican lap blanket for warmth and a beach towel for water. My rear passenger suddenly became Juan from Tiajuana with the blanket wrapped all the way around him. I told him he knocked his coolness level down a notch like that but he said he was an ice cube. lol

Lotsa stuff to learn about the Jeep lifestyle, that's for sure. Like passenger comfort. lol :evil: [addsig]

The windshield mirror mounts work good, allows for your to keep the stock mirrors, but dont get the ones that go into your door hinges when the doors are off. I had those and the things rusted, vibrated and strachted the paint off my car. The windshield mounts are much better

Back