Looking for Advice before I buy

jlawson

I'm looking to buy my first CJ7 and wanted to get some input before I buy. I have found an 81 Renegade, but it has had a lot rebuilt on it. My main question is, should I be weary about buying since it has had a lot rebuilt, or should I look at it as an advantage since I won't have to do as much restore work? The rebuilt parts and updates are listed below. Also, all work has been done "over the past 10 years"........

Updated/rebuilt parts include:

Rebuilt front end
Replaced CV joints
Rebuilt transmission
Rebuilt transfer case
New drive shaft
Rebuilt rear end
Rebuilt brakes
1 piece axles
Borla headers
Borla muffler
Energy Suspension polyurethane mounts
Replaced clutch, pressure plate, throw out and bell housing

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

A little high to me but to each his own ...make sure you get paperwork to back up all the work that they say has been done...

One thing I learned from Being down in Tenn.. Price is directly relevent only to where you live. It really does no good to ask anyone not from your area if a price is a good price.

The 75 cent cheese burger I had for lunch down there costs as much as 2.50 here.
Just food (no pun intended) for thought

Rob 8) :p :)

Well its good to know that they've had all that work done, but you might want to inquire a little more and see whats been done over the past 2 years or so since 10 years is an awful long time.

That price may be fair, but watch out for rust. I looked at a few CJ7s before buying mine, and the most expensive one I looked at was so rusty that you could kick holes in the tub.

I can only speak for what I would expect for my money here in Washington, DC... and for $5500 I would expect the tub to have minimal rust. Also, you didnt mention an engine rebuild, so how many miles are on the engine?

Just a couple things to think about...

jim

I PAID $4500 FOR MINE AND THAT IS A GOOD PRICE, BUT MINE ONLY HAS 75000 ORIGINAL MILES. 55000 WERE TOWING MILES SO RIGHT NOW A LOT OF MY STUFF IS STOCK, EXCEPT WHAT I HAVE DONE. NOW I AGREE WITH THE OTHERS: VERIFY WORK WAS DONE, NO RUST, AND BE SURE 4WD WORKS, THAT IS A BIG DEAL, AND DRIVE IT FOR SURE. YOU CAN TELL A LOT FROM A TEST DRIVE. GOOD LUCK. YOU ARE BUYING A PIECE OF HISTORY IN A CJ7, REMEMBER THEY WILL HOLD THEIR VALUE BETTER THAN SOMETHING NEW. THEY DID NOT MAKE NEARLY AS MANY.

Thanks for all of the info about this.....

I am definitely going to drive it and make sure 4wd works properly and that it doesn't seem to rough. The seller has said that there is no rust inside or out. Also, it has 125000 miles on the engine, which is higher than I wanted, but will only know for sure when I go check it out.

Thanks again for the info!

Back