Newbe Jeep Question

I've just recently caught the Jeep bug. My first Jeep died within the first month I owned it but I learned a lot about Jeeps and my second Jeep a '89 Lerado is ready for some mods. I am looking for a suspension lift because this jeep sets discracfully low. I found a site for Hell Creek Suspension, http://www.hellcreeksuspensions.com, they sell a 4" kit for $389 that includes what appears to be everything you need to install the lift. I have notice an interesting thing, on the Hell Creek site they say at the bottom of the page "Our Thanks to Heckethorn Products, Inc. for the use of their photos". It turns out that Heckerthorn owns Rough Contry and if you go to their site (http://rough.roughcountry.com) they sell a kit that appears identical to the hell creek kit for $389 only they call it a 3". The only difference is the the "Hell Creek springs" vs the "Rough Country springs". I wonder who makes the Hell Creek springs? Does anyone have a Hell creek kit, how is the guality? Is Hell Creek selling the Rough Contry lift with an over estimated lift height? Can these questions be answered?

PS: I'm a gov engineer so it's my job to ask these anoying questions!!

I don't know but welcome to the new site and I am sure someone will answer your questions....

Go to FollowMyRuts.com for an even better price on the rough country package I love mine and got a great deal to boot. Look into it and tell I sent you. hehehehehe tug

Well I e-mailed Hell Creek about their springs, this was their response:

My question,
Do you make your springs? Or are they made by Heckethorn Products/Rough Country? What type of warranty is offered on the springs?

Their answer,
Heckethorn Products/Rough Country does not make springs; they buy them from spring manufacturers, as do most of the other lift kit companies. We have our springs made by Laher Spring Corporation in New Albany, Mississippi. They have made lift springs for many of the well known kit manufacturers in the United States. We also use kit parts marketed by Rough Country, so, naturally, our kits look very similar to theirs.

Anyway..

Tug.. I checked out FollowMyRuts.com they really do have great prices. I think I've made up my mind. The rough country kit at $350 is what I'm going for.. although I'm thinking of getting extended brake lines to go with it instead of using the brackets that come with the kit....

If you get the extened lines that is a good thing. I have the 3" lift and even with disco's I do not stress the lines out with full flex. So it could be a good idea but it is not going to be a have to have mod. Hope this helps you out. I did go for the nitro up garde in the shocks. Was it worth it, I do not know cause I have not used the hydro ones thay offer. later Tug

I guess this guestion is for ayone that has the 3" rough country lift..Tug..

I have a soft top for summer and a hard top for winter and I wonder if the hard top will make the jeep sag in the rear so I called rough country to see what they say and their answer was; it may sag but every jeep is a little different so they can't be sure!

Does anyone have a hard top on this kit? Does it sag?

AA

Well, not to sound cynical...but here it goes.

You get what you pay for. I got the Kit from Followmyrutz.com (great customer service, good company, would order from them again!)

Within three months I had snapped a front leaf spring (dissconnected front end, stuffed wheel while in a river, ended up shredding tire, blowing brake like, hub, wheel bearings, and inner fender wall). Basically, not a fun thing. replaced both front with skyjacker 4" lift springs. (Have to replace both so they are the same height).

then....

blew out a rear one as well. going over a good rock section (see bottom picture), back one broke, had to replace both as well.

So byt this time, I have spent a ton of money, on new springs, and on all the otehr parts that broke.

So in short, you get what you pay for. I have never been nice on my jeep. It is a toy, made for pounding. If you want a lift to drive around the streets on, by all means, get it. but if you plan on abusing it, in my opinion, you are better off going with a better kit from the get go.

Just my $.02

pezzo33

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Well, not to sound cynical...but here it goes.

You get what you pay for. I got the Kit from Followmyrutz.com (great customer service, good company, would order from them again!)

Within three months I had snapped a front leaf spring (dissconnected front end, stuffed wheel while in a river, ended up shredding tire, blowing brake like, hub, wheel bearings, and inner fender wall). Basically, not a fun thing. replaced both front with skyjacker 4" lift springs. (Have to replace both so they are the same height).

then....

blew out a rear one as well. going over a good rock section (see bottom picture), back one broke, had to replace both as well.

So byt this time, I have spent a ton of money, on new springs, and on all the otehr parts that broke.

So in short, you get what you pay for. I have never been nice on my jeep. It is a toy, made for pounding. If you want a lift to drive around the streets on, by all means, get it. but if you plan on abusing it, in my opinion, you are better off going with a better kit from the get go.

Just my $.02

pezzo33

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Back