keeping YJ front speakers dry

BostonJeep

I installed new speakers in the front of my YJ ( you know, those impossible to reach ones ), i keep the doors off my jeep pretty much all summer long, how serious a problem is it if they get wet, and is there any smart way to keep them dry.

bj

Depends what kind of speakers you put in....KEPP AWAY FROM PAPER CONES......then it really dosen't matter.

Rob 8) :p :)

HEll Creek Suspension

jhiggins said:
Just get some marine grade speakers......
Just call around to local boat shops and they can sell you high quality speakers for them that can take the weather.

That's what I did and they worked out very good on my Jeeps..... :D

As long as the cones are not paper, and that the rear of the speaker is protected from water (which it is) you will be all set. I got clarion pro series seperates in my dash, and they get wet all the time (the front at least) and they still are pumping (4 years later)

Johnny

I've got a '91 YJ and am now looking to replace those original speakers and the AM/FM "sound system." I've been to a few audio places like Best Buy and Circuit City and they informed me that they carge double the labor for my style jeep becuase of the difficulty.
My question is "How difficult is it to remove/replace those speakers and stereo??" I'd like to attempt this on my own - thoughts?

what i did, popped off the roll bar connectors to the windshield, lowered the winshield, popped off the dash, leaned it forward, took out the speaker. replaced it. both sides. less than an hour. sound great. short sentences are fun. -bj

Could someone post a picture of their ignition switch (cj7)

I was An installer for years and we too charged extra for front YJ speakers. They are difficult to replace. If you pull the glove box out, it will make the passengers side 100x easier.
You can drop the windshield like Boston did, I have done it this way too, but make sure you check the alignment of the bottom gasket so no moisture will get in!

Johnny

Back