Engine Swap In massachusetts....Help Me out!

pezzo33

Ok, so I just joined as I need help. I have my lovely little Wrangler. But she is just tipping over 270,000 miles on on her way to 271K. Engine starts and runs everytime, gets me a whopping 12 MPG's (5" lift, 33's, automatic)......but the intake manifold is warped, and head has a crack in it, and it leaks....somehow still runs strong, and somehow I passed MA inspection (woohoo!)...but it is time to move on.

Here are the four options I am thinking of.

1. get a nice 4.2 Litre carbed engine just like mine, but with >100,000 miles on it. One that does not leak, and is in one piece. Drop it in.

2. get a 4.0 HO, drop it in. fuel injection (yummy)

3. Chevy 4.3 Litre Vortech with 4 speed auto

4. Jeep Grand cherokee V8 with 5 speed auto.

Now, I know any would be more than adequete powerwise. i also have them listed in order of both ease of install and cost. Cost is a factor , but not a huge one. here is the t hing though....the engine is not the problem.

It is the labor, install, and unexpected costs I am worried about. I am trying to find someplace to do it not too expensive. I had one reputable place quote me $800-$1000 just for a new 4.2, $1500+ for a 4.0, and $2300+ for the Vortech or V8 (30+ hours labor).

if anyone can give me a hand, give me ideas, know of anyone in Western massachusetts/Northern CT that can swap it cheaper, etc..

Look forward to input, and for a nice stay on this board!

thanks
pezzo33

image-missing.png

image-missing.png
image-missing.png

all else being equal i would say the vortec 4.3 is the best engine listed

4.3 vortec for sure... the V8 would sound better, and could have more power.. but the 4.3 vortec would be the most efficient

you could also stroke a 4.0 and get some good results from that... and you know you can get parts to fit... only different motor mounts

There are some things to concider as well with going to the 4.3 the transfer case and the axles...35' rears will not hold up to the 4.3 torque range and the transfer case might need beefing up as well.
A quick look atadvancedadapterswill let you know if you can bold up your transmission and tcase to this motor. As to what axles...I know a place that can tell you that but if your going to put in a high torque motor like that a dana 44 in the read is a must.

I would expect that the entire powertrain would be carried over with the 4.3

the 4.3 is most likely what I woudl want. I can get a rolled 99 S10 for cheap, and have everything to do the swap...the problem is the labor, and finding someone to do it, especially for a lot less than I have been quoted.

If I had the time, and a garage, I could do it myself I am sure (a lot of time...all winter perhaps..) but that is not possible at this time....oh well.

I was planning to carry over as much as possible from the Chevy, and figured I might have to change the axels as well.

If anyone can suggest a good shop, with decent prices and/or experience, I woudl love it...unless everyone will be in teh same basic ballpark..

pezzo33

i spent $1200 on labor doing my engine swap, but i did it at a local swap and was there the whole way through it doing work, i swaped the motor, transmission, added an SYE, and changed out to an 8.8" rear end (a move i would highly recomend for anybody) the 4.3 swap is going to be as labor intensive as my 350 swap, perhaps even more so because i went with a carbed 350 so the wiring was truely painless. Dont forget that when changing over to a bigger more powerful engine you're also going to have to up grade your cooling system, I've got a 4 core radiator, with a mechanical puller fan, and electric pusher fan and she still runs warm on hot summer days. Putting any engine other then a bolt in replacement is going to nickle and dime the shit out of you with little things you'd never think about ($100 in a bolt kit for instance) so whatever you're planning on it costing, i'd save up about 1,000 more just for the little shit, my project was budgeted at 5 grand, and till i was done i had just under 6 in it!

i would totally go with the vortec, hell get everything you possibly can off the s-10. Utah and xtreme have the right idea, there are alot more things that you will run into beside just simply throwin a new motor in. you got wiring, cooling, drive train, axles?, headers, exhaust, gotta pass MA inspections too i see, and all the stupid lil shit along the way. if your gonna use the whole engine, drivetrain from the s10, and the axles , youll be needing custom drive shafts, and quite a bit of configuration on the steering. alot of welding too. its a big job, and you would be alot better off finding a friend with a garage, and rounding up a crew to knock this job off on weekends. it would take a shop just as long, considering you are not the only customer they have.

everyone thinks converting a jeep motor is as easy as it sounds, hell i have only been rounding up parts, and im on month two.

The only thing to watch with any vortech engine (i have one in my Jimmy) is the sensor that controls the MPFI, and the little spider arms that go with it. Ahound 100 to 110 thousand miles it tends to go bad. Not to hard to replace, but the part is ONLY available at the stealer and will run you about 400 bucks total everything. I naaed to replace mine, but the Jimmy has kinda taken a back seat to the PIT :)

Just a word of advice.

Rob 8) :p :)

If it helps, A friend of mine finished a 305 in a 87 YJ about 2 months ago, now he bought a second 87 YJ that had a 2.8 gm in it with a blower on it and he is in the process of performing a swap to a 4.3 vortec. He is also a mechanic so he has a good background. If you like, I will ask him if you can give him a call about the swap?

Oh, we are also located in massachusetts!

Johnny

Johnny,
Sounds great! Sounds like he is the type of guy I might be looking for, with some experience adn will hopefully give a good price as well.

Drop me an email telling me more info, and I can get a phone number or give yo mine that way to talk to him, see baout prices, labor, timre, etc..

thanks!

pezzo33
pezzo33@hotmail.com

Back