Two Problems I am having with my '95 YJ!

KletusJeeps

Ok I have 2 issues :evil: with my '95 YJ that has a 4 cyl auto in it.

1) This thing will not stop leaking transmission fluid. Replaced the transmission pan gasket twice.. will stop it for about 2 days and then starts leaking again. The problem is the leak is so sparatic and so little that I have no clue where it is coming from. I clean everything off hoping to find it and it doesn't leak for a week. Then as soon as I stop rolling under my Jeep to see where it is... it starts leaking. :evil: Anyone have any ideas? I never have to put transmission fluid in because the leak is so small its not really a problem, minus the little half dollar size spot on the driveway.

2) I want to lift my jeep to fit larger tires under it. I know for sure I want to try and get 33X12.5R15 on some 15" X 8" 5 by 4.5 with a backspace of 3.XX ..... The question is this. I have a 3" body lift on my jeep will this be enough to fit the 33's I want or will something have to change for wheelin? And I currently have the stock "Gambler" wheels on the Jeep what backspacing are they and does anyone have pics of a Jeep with backspacing in the 3.XX range with 33's on it?

Well..... thanks in advance..

Kletus

KletusJeeps said:
because the leak is so small its not really a problem, minus the little half dollar size spot on the driveway.
ok the best wat is to clean the transmission and spray water solible white paint over your pan and hope is doesnt rain till you see a spot. The red transmission fluid will show where your leaking from. it might not be a pan gasket issue but a sensor along the sides or a cracked transmission housing.
The first issue is to locate to leaks location. If you fail try again till you do. Baring every else taking it to a transmission shop and having them do a red dye test for a cracked housing should only cost 35$ or so and having them replace the transmission filter and putting on a new gasket will lay the blame on them if it leaks again...lol
As to your lift... a 3 inch with a 1 inch body will work for 33's or better yet a nice 4 long arm suspention lift will make you feel like your riding in a caddy

Be ready to regear if you go that big and plan to use it for a daily drive. I went to 31x11.5 Baja Claws and that small jump put 5th gear into a fond memory category! So figure in new ring and penions into the lift. Not meaning to rain on your parade but it would be better to trade into good 5 speed than fix an Auto. Just my 2 cents. tug

Not much to do with the post, but i just wanna mention that i love how tug says "just my 2 cents".

He thinks that you whimpy TJ drivers should drive a Stick....:)

thanks for the info on the leak and on what puttin 33's on will do. I use it as a daily driver and sometimes my trail seems to end up where the city doesnt want to put pavement. Something about not everyone would get the use out of it.... fine with me i like the dirt anyway.

I think I will put something smaller than 33's just so i dont lose the ability to do 60mph if i ever need to go that fast on the highway..

Question for Utah... this water soluble paint .. will it come off after i have determined where the leak is coming from with some water? where can i get some of this stuff?

Jhiggins... the rims in your pic are the exact rims I have on my jeep right now. 15X8 5 by 4.5 stock rims do you know what the backspacing is on these? I want to get some black ar 767's and want to know how much more the smaller backspace will push the wheels out... I think the ar 767's have a 3.5 backspace.

Try some kids water paint form the local wally world. Don't let me scare you off from big tires just be ready to factor in the cost of regearing. I just don't like an auto if it aint behind a V8 and then I would rather have a stick. It's all in the way we each see things. tug

Tug has the right idea with kids paint from wally world...I get mine through out local paint distribtor for finding gear case leaks on mining equipment and we buy it in spray can form.. but a brush on will work fine since your only hunting down the leaks location. We use a pressure washer afterwards to peal/wash off the paint. a grease pencil marks the location for the mechanics.
As to the tires I have 35's and after re-gearing my ride I still can hit 65+ with no problems (in city freeway limit is 65 MPH).
All re-gear will do is bring your Jeep back into factory geared spec's for your tire size.. you will see a higher RPM at freeway speed but that is minimal and due to the fact your spinning larger and heavyer tires.
Good luck with your leak and I hope you find it soon

To buy, or not to buy????

OK well here goes....

Did a little cleaning on the transmission and transfer case... cleaned it up so that you couldn't tell it has been leaking at all and looked almost new... then proceeded to find this stupid leak... Good news is I found the leak ... Bad news is its the stupid transmission pan gasket AGAIN! Both times I have replaced this I have done it exactly the way I have been told... tighten only until you see the rubber seal begin to move under the pressure and no more... could there be something wrong with the pan itself? Why will this thing not seal?

Any ideas?

When you remove the pan check the bolt holes on the pan to make sure they are flat. If not flatten them out with a block of wood and a hammer.

I had the same problem with mine. Flattened the holes and sealed it with permatex ultra seal. It's a little harder to clean when replacing the filter but it won't leak.

Back