Inline fuse for AC question

Deerhunter30

Here is a good question......I think. I have AC in my 1983 CJ7. Today it cut out on the way back from lunch. Nothing was working.....blower motor, compressor....nothing. My thought was that all power was cut off from the unit. My Jeep is set up with a connector in the fuse box that you put a flat connector into. The fuse box has no fuse for this lead, just power. I had had the connector come out of the fuse box before so I thougnt that was the problem. I got my test light and that was not the problem. I follow the wire to the in-line fuse (the new plug in style not the cylindrical type. Sure enough no power after the fuse. I try to pull out the fuse with no luck. It is melted into the plastic holder. After cutting it out and inspecting it I find that one of the connectors inside the holder was pushed back and might not have been making good connection with the fuse itself. Is it possible that a bad connection at this point could generate enough heat to melt the plastic fuse holder?

Yes it is possible...(from an electrician). When the fuse does NOT have solid contact, it will cause arcing, which generates ALOT of heat. In you case, it melted the fuse. In buildings, it causes fires. I would replace the connector if you can, and make sure that the fuse you put back is the proper amperage for your AC...A fuse that is to small will do the same thing.

Rob 8) :p :)

I knew there was someone on here that had given good electrical answers in the past. Thanks a bunch! Replacing the fuse holder or connector or whatever it is called is mandatory becuase it was melted to the fuse and was cut apart to see what went wrong. I thought this might be the case. I figured if it was a problem with the AC it would have popped the fuse and not melted the entire connector. Thanks again....Autozone here I come!

Back