Timing Question

Ed

I have a 91' Jeep Wrangler 4.0 FI, and I'm trying to determine what the corect way to hook up a timing light and how many degrees if any should it read. I've attempted this and I read 12 degrees. Is that correct? I would appreciate any help anyone can offer me.

Thanks
Ed

Get a haynes book from your local auto store ...I know that it hooks up to you 1st plug wire don't know what the timing is to be set at though...:)

I have a Haynes book but it only talks about Carb. models that I see. It doesn't say too much about Feul Inj. Now it does talk about
checking it without a timing light (finding TDC) but I was trying to do it the easy way. Appreciate your help. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Ed

Most all of the 4 liter injected motors, I´ve heard of, have no adjustment for the timing. Other than initial timing and that is physicaly set. The postition of the rotor at TDC.
If you get initial timing set close, the computer will time it correctly.
There are some recalls on specific model years (don´t know about 91) with new specs. for intial timing.

Well I was planning on replacing the plugs and wires, they have a lot of corrosion built on them though that might take care of the problem, so I'll physically set it while I'm doing that or attempt to do it anyway. But it still bugs me that there is no reference to go by for checking it with a timing light. Thanks for your help.

Ed

Chev has a disconnect that takes the sensors out of the loop and allows you to check timing with a light (initial timing). Have heard of no such animal for the models of Jeep I´ve worked on.
Many injected Jeeps, it´s impossible to turn the distributor, without cutting the locking tabs off of the distributor shaft. Can´t say for all models, most of my experience is on early models.

Back