Got a new TJ, with a body lift from the dealer

barlows

cj5 power stearing conversion

Fellas,

New TJ owner here. I've got a quick question. I picked up a '03 TJ a couple weeks ago from a local dealer. The dealer had a body lift and some 33x1250s installed along with some other fru-fru stuff. I've since had to return it to the dealer to get these body lift related things fixed.

1) Fuel filler hose kinked. Takes 20+ minutes to fill the tank.
2) Transfer case shifter out of adjustment. The notch where 4H should be gets me to neutral.
3) Transmission shifter out of adjustment. When shifting to 2nd gear, I can feel the linkage hit the pan.

I know that these things are all part of body lifts in general, and before anyone feels the need to tell me all of the evils of body lifts, all of these things are fairly minor compared to the last thing on the list. This one is pretty interesting.

When the body lift was installed, I believe it was supposed to be a 1" lift. That is to say that the pucks are 2". Aren't the pucks supposed to replace the existing 1" body mount "rubbers"? I've done body lifts on other vehicles, and that was always the case. That is not the way these folks did it. They put the pucks on top of the stock mounts. Another reason I believe that the kit is really a 1" lift is when I look at the rubber snubbers under the front clip. On all Wranglers that I've ever seen, these have been in contact with the frame, supporting the front clip. One mine, they are just hanging out there in space, with you guessed it, 1 extra inch between them and the frame. My whole front clip is only supported by the fenders (and maybe the support bars under the hood).

So the TJ is in the shop, I just wanted to see if I was right about the lift kit being installed incorrectly.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

I have not done a body lift on a jeep, but I have on a few other vehicle and they always went on with the factery rubbers in place.

most body lifts keep the stock pucks in place... or come with extra pucks to make up for the stock space... otherwise, if you go with a 1" lift puck... you will only be lifting it like a quarter inch

But how does that explain the front clip being totally unsupported? I can see it shake and bounce over every bump. I guess I'm just expecting something to happen and then have the dealer (who had it installed in the first place) tell me that the changes voided my warranty.

Thanks again,
Steve

Tell the dealer to fix it. If they had it installed they have to fix it. Whoever installed the body lift should warranty the istalation. The dealership probably did not install it. They usually sublet them out. If they will not fix the rattle ask them who installed it and take it to them. The kits I have installed replace all of the supports so it should not rattle. As far as the linkages I had a friend that had to cut part of the plate around the shifter a little more to prevent the hitting. I worked at a dealership for a while. They should take care of all of your concerns if not demand another jeep. Make them take it back. If that doesn't work call the reginal manager for Jeep and work your way up. I can bet that you can find someone that will help as long as you do not wait too long.

Transmission Cover

everyone has a boss.. you can always go to someone's boss.. and their boss

Back