Slow to Start (Starter???)

JeredYJ

Recently my '91 YJ I-6 has gotten slower to turn over and start. I am not sure what the problem is, but it seems to be getting worse. Once it turns over like 3 or 4 times it starts right up but the "turning" seems to be taking longer each time I start it up. Anyone had this experience and can help me before I have to get a loan JUST to have a mechanic look at it? All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jered

Jeep'n Babe

mine has to sit and grind around sometimes for 15 seconds or so and sometimes it wont even turn over, so i wait a few seconds and try again and it'll start. I dont know your problem thought i wish i could be fo assistance to you. Is your battery good? maybe its as simple as that.

I have the same problem Jered. I have a '93 YJ 6 banger. It does exactly that. It doesn't seem to be getting too much worse tho. I have the same thought, maybe it's the ignition. Maybe Mx is right and it's the batter but mine shows good charge. I hope someone can help us out here. Good luck Jered.
Mike

I used to have that problem. before i upgraded everything.

I'd think the possible causes might be:
-weak battery
-bad switch to starter cable
-distributor letting in moisture

Like i said, i've completely upgraded every part of my engine's electrical systems from the alternator, battery, ignition coil, distributor, spark plugs, and upsized all ignition wiring to accomodate the larger alternator.
Starts immediately now. First crank, every time.

every 4.0 i've ever come across has that problem

93 Grand Cherokee...

Ok, somewhat good news. I had the battery checked and it was confusing the machine that checked it... then let up a bit of smoke from the pos. terminal - so I yanked it out and threw in a new one. Ta-da, back to the normal slow start that I'm use to! Now it's dependable... but still no quick starts. I am replacing the fuel filter this weekend to maybe get some better gas flow into the engine. Also gonna check the distributer cap while im in there to see whats going on. AND possibly have the starter rebuilt/replaced as soon as my scholarships come in!
Thanks guys, jered

More good news on the whole starting thing. This weekend I replaced the fuel filter, starter, and battery terminal connectors. Now she starts faster and better than my friend's '00 TJ! Good stuff. -jered

Fuel injection Holley

A couple of things to file away in the old brain for possible future use.
The I-6 4 liter with the MPI. Keeps the fuel rail under pressure, when the motor is stopped, to make restarting easier. The fuel shutoff valve/regulator (when it gets a little old), often leaks down some, which makes starting a little harder. This is often magnified when the battery is a little weak or the ignition system is in need of attention.
Next is the starter, when it gets a little old (and the brushes wear down some) it will often turn over a little slower. A weak battery and or a motor in need of a tune up, will add to the problem of excessive cranking. The I-6 will rarley start on the first revolution or often even the sixth revolution, seems to be the nature of the beast
If you ever go to start and the starter does nothing, wack the end of the starter sharply a few times with a hammer. This seats the brushes and can help with a hanging solenoid. Before the starter stops cranking altogether, it will often crank a little slower than normal, even with a good battery and charging system.

Guess whos back...

OK GUYS! Here is my deal same type of problem have to turn it about 3 times to get it cranked. I am going to try these other ideas. However, my plugs are fairly new, new alternator, new carb. I don't know if is getting enough gas to start, or if it could be the something else. Once it is running it usually, most of the time I say, starts up 1st crank after the initial battle. Please help.

Back