Bad Brakes on CJ

jeeproller2

I own a 1980 CJ7 with a 302.It has disc brakes in front and drum brakes in rear.The brakes are all stock.In the last six months i have put new pads front and rear.At the same time i had the rotors and drums turned.this weekend i put a new master cylinder on. The problem that i am having is it still doesn't want to stop.It has a nice stiff pedal.Does anyone know how to trouble shoot or test the combination valve that is mounted on the frame next to the tanny???Is there something that i missed?

Note: Theses brakes are not power.

Thanks JEEPROLLER2[addsig]

Installing power assist would definitely help with your problem, but it sounds like there are other problems too such as a restriction in one or more of your lines and/or proportioning valve. Could be that the drums and rotors weren't properly cleaned after being turned and installed. Are your rear shoes adjusted up enough? Are the calipers able to slide? etc etc etc[addsig]

when bleeding brakes does fluid come out all corners? like the previous post reply are they adjusted in the back?

you did not say how big your tires are.if they are 31's or bigger that would make your brake system strain itself, power assist will help out big time.[addsig]

i'm tackling the brake system on my jeep now. make sure all of your axle seals are good a leaking seal will spill grease onto the shoes or dics makeing them usless. cj's arn't know to stop on a dime so keep that in mind[addsig]

Take the wheels and drums off, one-by-one. Then s-l-o-w-l-y push in the brake pedal. Do the calipers and shoes move when doing this?[addsig]

Sometimes when replacing the master clyinder the rod going through the firewall is different lengths. This will cause the problem you're having. there should be 1/4 play in the pedal before the brakes apply. This is usually matched at the factory. So should be checked when changing the master cylinder on non power brakes. Question is did yo do all this stuff because of this problem or did this problem come about after you repaired the brakes? Hope this helps. If not, I'll be glad to give more info or explain better if needed. Good luck.[addsig]

Back