they are getting the boot

Snitty

i've decided... i don't care about what the cops think around here (as if they will really do anything about it)... i'm taking off my fender flares... i like the look, and it helps with getting muddy

it is illegal because of the increased chance of debris flying from the road... same reason that vehicles are to have mudflaps on them... which i have had off since the day i bought the jeep... i like the look much better without the flares

I think the entire 'tires sticking out is illegal' thing might just be an ole wives tale, just like driving barefoot being illegal :roll: I'm very familiar with the Illinois Vehicle Code, and I've never been able to find it in there. I think the tire coverage and mud flaps only apply to Second Class vehicles and larger, which doesn't apply to Jeeps.

Don't quote me on this, if somebody can find this in any state's vehicle code, I'd love to read it.

I know in Maryland it will get you an "inspection" ticket. You get a small fine and then have 30 days to get it corrected and take it down to the police barracks to get an officer to sign off on the ticket or your registration will be suspended.

Driver Side Window

Funny thing we used to do in Hawaii when i lived there in 97-2000. You couldn't have tires sticking past flares, which was part of the yearly inspection. So my roommate and I would swap our tires. I would go get inspected. Pass the inspection then go and change tires back.

I HATE the driving barefoot thing, is that even for real?? I carry shoes in case, but I think it is the silliest thing I've ever heard.

just because something is part of inspection, doesn't mean that it is illegal to ignore.... there are many shops that inspect all sorts of things, and won't pass them if they are not up to a shops standards... but that doesn't mean it is illegal to drive that way... i had a shop fail a car before because the floorpan was rusted, but nowhere in the V&T did it say that you can't drive around with a rusted floorpan. Legal policy and safety are two different concepts

In utah you can drive without shoes, but you do have flares to cover the wheels. I found that in the highway patrol Q & A. I have not found the right code to find out about the other things I would like to know.

i hate to brag but AR has to be the easiet state on vehicals it cost me $19.75 to register it last friday for a year, and today eating lunch a saw a land crusier w/o and fenders of any type and atleast 38" TSLs parked next to me that is street legal here :mrgreen:

Virginia will allow no more than 4" outside of the fenders and if yer at that point, you have to have lights mounted at the farthest point away from the fender.

Kinda sucks more than a little in some cases, but what do ya do right?

Mud flaps are required on vehicles above a certain weight as well, but we Jeeps fall WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY short of that thank goodness.

Later,

Chris

Not here! Man these local yocals around here are so bored that they would spit out a fresh glazed donut just to pull you over for something as petty as an overheight bumper or tire (any amount of tire) past a fender flare!

And yes, they each carry measuring tapes. I think they have incorporated them into their utility belts!

Back