Cant figure out problem

ccaissie

My 87 Jeep wrangler will ride fine for a week and then drop it's idle and stall out while driving. It has brand new carb, and computer, distributor cap and pcv valve. I can't seem to find the problem. It will start back up again right away but the idle has to be held to 100 RPm for a while until it's warm.

Not certian that this is the problem, but you may want to check out your vacum hoses. You could have a vacum leak.
Another possibility is that choke is set wrong, and your jeep runs fine until the choke cuts off (early). You'd have to hold your gas down until it warms up (when the choke should cut off).
Just a couple of guesses...

Terry

Also, it might not hurt to check out your fuel filter... does it happen when your tank is close to empty? Just a thought.

Check to see if the carb is adjusted properly, since it is a new carb. Carb adjustments can be kind of tricky. I dont know if you did it yourself or not.

You might want to check out the fuel pump. I had similar issues with my CJ. On the 258, replacing the fuel pump is easy as well, and cheap. The part goes for about $20.

-Chris
[addsig]

here is another possibility, I had the same problem a few times, and it seemed like it always cut out while I was in the left lane passing a huge line of tractor trailers. What it ended up being was the module. It is hidden under the windshield wiper reserviour on my yj. IT would heat up and fail, and then reset itself and run again after shuting it off. I now keep a spare in my breakdown box just in case. Good luck with it.
[addsig]

well heres my two cents it might be that your electric choke isnt functioning due to a intermittent contact with the oil temp sender on the passenger side of the engine it happened to me and what would happen is it would run fine until it came disconnected and would run right until the engine heated up sufficiently. Hope that helps heres a good site to trybbd info
[addsig]

Back