Steering Brace

TwistedCU

On my '92 YJ (32" BFG's) with manual steering, I'm considering a brace for the steering box. Is that worth it or a waste of money, and can anybody recommend one or are they pretty much all the same?

I think currie makes one. RE might also make one. There not that hard to make.

I would recomend it as well. I fish plated(2 .250 HRS plates welded in) my TJ after I put 35's. I have seen what larger tires do to a frame. You will always have some frame flex in that area and over the years you will develop small hail line cracks from any drilled holes.
This is caused by the extra power needed to move the meats around.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a locker in the front axle. The YJ has a very strong boxed frame and is not known to break around the steering box under most wheelin conditions. I have a lincoln locker in the front of my '95 YJ, which is a LOT of stress on the steering system when offroad, and have had no problems without a brace.

Spend the money and time where it's needed more.

I put one on from M.O.R.E. On the cj there is a 2 piece that was flexing a lot and loosening bolts. I paid $120 and it replaced the bracket. I had to drill one more hole for support on the top brace between the frame rails. I have not wheeled it yet because I am still waiting for some more parts but it is solid.

Back