97 Jeep Wrangler - Stalling out, while on highway. Now Dead.

workingclass78

Radio, A/C, and cigarette lighter all quit working.

Since I have owned my jeep I have experienced random stall outs -
In the begining they were very random, it went like this.

Driving down the highway my Jeep would be running absolutely fine, then out of the blue all acceleration would "blank" out, zip, nothing. I would come to a rolling stop. On the side of the road I would turn the key and there would be no sign of the engine turning over. I would hear the starter, but the engine would not combust. Then out of the blue an hour or so later I would turn the key and she would start up like nothing happened. Though this was rare, once a month, over time it became more and more common.

That brings us to today -

Driving down the road I lost acceleration, sputtering led to total shut down of the engine. I have lights and the starter engages but no hope of turn over.

Here are the details - I have replaced the following since -

fuel pump
wires
plugs
distributor
rotor
Ignition coil
fuses
cleaned out gas tank

Initially it seemed like my fuel pump simply was turning off then coming back to life. That is not the case since my jeep is still DEAD and I could sit there for a week turning the key, there is not the slightest sign of it starting.

I have a Crank sensor on order, it will be in tomorrow.

Any suggestions at all? PLEASE HELP ARRGGHHHH!!!
I AM LEFT HAVING TO SHARE THE WIFES CAR - DEAR GOD!!!

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
Matt in Boston

Have you tried the O2 Sensor???

I have heard MANY say that is the remedy for just this situation.

Have not tried the O2 sensor, but when I pick up the Crank Sensor in the Morn, I will get the O2 sensor also - Should I be holding off on the Crank sensor then?

Many thanks for your reply -
I plan to take your advice and I'll let you know how it goes!!!
Even if it does not work, it can only help I guess.

Matt

You did not list this but did you replace the fuel filter. I had an international scout that did that same thing but stupid me I thought it was vaperlocking. I eventualy poped a new filter in and away I went.

Have you had the on-board computer checked for any failiny type of codes ?
Had a simular problem but it was my cam shaft sensor.

Regarding the codes, I checked the codes that flash on the dash and they told me nothing, though I am sure that a dealers computer diagnostic could tell me more. I a trying at all costs and loss of sanity to avoid the dealer. It is foolish, but heck I need to l earn how to get in and out of my Jeep, I guess.

Regarding the fuel filter, a mechanic told me that there is no fuel filter, in the conventional sense. Insted it is attached to the fuel pump. Is this true? I hope it is.

Again thanks for the help guys, I'll keep you posted.
Matt

I wasn't sure what year before I looked at the title again. I know that they usually have a screen in the tank but Most have another. My jeep is older so I have 2 One before the pump and one after. I am not sure about the newer filters.

i always start with filters, then go with wires, then i go with sensors... if it doesn't go from there... then we start getting into things

Are you getting power to the computer?
Check the positive lead from the battery terminal to the computer. You may have a loose connection that only supplies power when things cool down.

I think the Crankshaft Position sensor is a very good bet. When the CPS is faulty and gives the computer faulty information, the computer loses info such as engine RPMs, top dead center location, etc.. This can cause the computer to fail to operate the ignition system, and No spark = No go :wink:

-Nick :!:

might be your throttle position sensor...i ran through a deeppuddle and it fried it and i started stalling in my jeep and its an automatic..sometimes i could go out and it would start rigth up and others it would take me 20 minutes 2 get it started..

MATT YOU'RE IN BOSTON? I go to northeastern man, always looking for fellow jeepers. We are starting a New England Jeep Club that you have got to check out. In fact, we're going on a trip this weekend.

As for the jeep, just sounds like its going through puperty. =] best of luck!

Nick - I am going to run with your advice this morning - I am picking the sensor in a few hours, A mechanic from Kelly Jeep in Lynnfield Massachusetts also stressed the Sensor theory. He also mentioned that I had wandered into deep water by changing all that other stuff. Hey, it will serve as one big ass tune up thats all!!!

Hey Dave! I used to work at the New England Conservatory right next to Northeastern. Small World.
What is that Pizza place across the street? - Cappy's, I used to eat there like every other day.
I am certainly interested, where do you fellas usually ride?

We've had one trip so far, to pembroke mass, here are the pics.

http://www.anythingjeep.com/photos/mass/index.html

We are going tomorrow (saturday) in the AM to conneticut, 930 or so. If you want to come you're more than welcome, we are meeting at the mcdonalds where Mass Ave hits 93... theres a bunch of us going. talk to ya soon

Cool pictures!!! Once I get my skeezer of a Jeep running I am without a doubt gonna meet up, I dont now how you found those spots for 4 wheeling but well done.

Catch you later.

Matt

This thread is 13 years old, I would start a new one 97wrangler87guy

That's an ignition module problem if I ever heard of one. Typically modules will get hot and and start failing. They sometimes fail slowly killing you on the side of the road only to start a while later once they cool off. Sometimes they just go zap and they are dead. Anyhow, something to check.

That's an ignition module problem if I ever heard of one. Typically modules will get hot and and start failing. They sometimes fail slowly killing you on the side of the road only to start a while later once they cool off. Sometimes they just go zap and they are dead. Anyhow, something to check.

I know this thread was a long time ago I just figured I would give it a shot just to see. Is there a way to check to see if the PCM is in fact dead?? That's a pretty expensive part just to buy and see if it works. I'm doing a motor swap sometime within the next couple years. But if the PCM is shot then I'll just do the motor swap sooner.

Well it's a ignition control module. What type distributor do you have OEM? What year is your Jeep?

Last edited:
Back