U-Bolt Flip?

laneiac

Good Luck To Those On The East Coast

So I know you can flip the ubolts on a spring under D44, but can you flip them on a D30 and D35?

Yes, just as easily as it's done on the D44. Remember that your shock mounts are lower than the ubolts, so if you don't move those up it will all be for nothin.

Ahhh, good point. Didnt even think about that. So I just need to raise the shock mounts and get longer ubolts then? Or do I need to do a little extra work? I figure it will be nice for the extra clearance, do you think its worth the trouble?

the spring plates from a chevy s-10 MIGHT be a good way to get the shocks out of the way... i'm not sure if it would line up or not... but i was looking one day, and the shock mounts on an s-10(or blazer) are incorporated in the spring plate.. if you are flipping the bolts, you MAY be able to go with this plate, and mount the shock to it... i'm not quite sure of the hole pattern though... but if you are crafty, you can weld the holes shut and drill new ones if needed...

You can cut off the stock shock mounts and weld them higher, or fab new ones from square tubing. You want them low, probably even with the bottom of the axle tube, to use the longest shock possible.

When flipping the u-bolts, you need square u-bolts to go under the leaf pack. Then you need a concave spring plate to go on top of the axle for the u-bolts to go through.

Yes that is interesting to hear that SOA is illegal in NJ. Do they check for that sort of thing often? It just seems like that would be a tough law to enforce.

I had a soa done on my scout a (about 10 years ago) The guy told me it was illegal but that when he was done no one would be able to tell unless they were familiar with it. I never had a problem with inspection but I only had one before I sold it.

what would be illegal about it... maybe the amount of lift... but then, its not really a suspension lift, a body lift, or a shackle lift.... it reuses ALL stock axles, springs, shackles, and body mounts.... it is simply relocating a spring perch

Bounty__Hunter said:
Why isn't SOA legal in your state? It came stock on many vehicles incuding the XJ.

SOA is only legal if it came that way from the factory.... if you flip it and they notice, you WILL fail.... i dont know why.. probably some idiots doing it incorrectly and losing axles down the highway or such responsible

So then is a SOA illegal per se? Or are any suspension modifications illegal? Or is it just shoddy welds and workmanship are noticable and fail?

they allow suspension modifications so long as you stick to factory geometry..... i can lift my jeep a total of 7" over stock, max. tire size being 6" over stock, a bunch of other rules...... otherwise it becomes a trailer queen.

Back