Do I need an alignment?

craziesteve

Okay so I finally upgraded to the 31X10.50 The Guy said I shouldnt go over 500 miles without an alignment. I talked tosome friends and they said I shoud get it alignment when I install a lift on it in 4-6 weeks, which is when I am getting it. Should I still get one now, I orignally had stock GSAs and not I have BFG A/T. So far they seem very good, I noticed there is some rubbing when I turn, but will the 2" lift take care of that? Well Thanks for any information.

Steve

the lift wont take care of your tires rubbing. what is happening is that the tires are hitting the springs. ( assuming you have a yj or older) you need off set rims. however if the tires are rubbing against the fender than yes a lift would solve that problem.also i would wait until after your lift to get an aligment, but thats is just me, i am cheap when it comes to stuff like that and would only want to do it once.

the lift wont take care of your tires rubbing. what is happening is that the tires are hitting the springs. ( assuming you have a yj or older) you need off set rims. but if it is rubbing against the fender than yes a lift will fix that problem. also i would wait until after your lift to get an aligment, but thats is just me, i am cheap when it comes to stuff like that and would only want to do it once.

You can say that again :wink:

If all you did is install larger tires, you do not need an alignment. You'll need an alignment after doing any lift, assuming you have a TJ.

If you're doing the 2" coil spacers, the only thing you're changing is your toe-in. You can adjust this yourself to get closer to spec, if you can't get it in a shop right away.

The 2" lift should take care of any rubbing when you turn, just make sure you redrill the lower track bar mount to recenter the front axle. Most rubbing is on the lower control arms when the axle is off-center.

I think what your friend is trying to tell you, or may be confused about, most tire manufacturers require a customer to get a front end allignment after new tires are installed inorder for the warrenty to be valid. A car that has a improper cast/toe will cause premature wear/scolloping on a new tire. NTB and Townfair Tire and places like that usually do a allignment for free when you get new tires installed!

I get rubbing of tire on leaf spring, that is due to a 12.5" wide tire on a 15x8 rim with a zero offest (kinda sucks the tire in a bit to keep it legal) I just need to remember not turn lock to lock. Does not effect normal daily use, just tight turns and stuff.

Johnny

I had the same problem whe I put my 32's on my YJ (with a shackle lift). I did the mod below, which took a little away from my turning radius (still better than most vehicles). After I put my lift on, I went from using 3 washers to just 2 washers. It took me 5 minutes to do this and you will need 2-6 grade 5 or 8 washers:

http://www.imajeep.com/Steering_Stop_Adjust/adjusting_steering_stop.htm

Well worth it if you want to keep the wheel& tires under the fenders.

I would wait on the alignment also.

-TC

It sounds to me like you have the cart in front of the horse here. You will need to get it done after the lift and you need to get it done before wear the tires. sounds like a tough break to me. tug

Back