To down shift...or not to down shift?

Deerhunter30

Do you guys down shift when decelerating. I have always let the engine get down to around 1000 rmp in 4th then a little clucth and send it to third and then let third get down to around 1000 rmp. On another thread someone posted that they did not like down shifting because it is hard on the transmission. What does everyone think?

You could always rev-match. Blip the throttle when the clutch is in between gears and it will bring the rpm's up to where they should be for the lower gear.

-Joe

I only downshift once in a blue moon. Other than that I use Neutral and Brakes. I figure it this way, One less time I press my clutch now is one more time I get to press it in the future. Then again I have never had a clutch go out on me, maybe there is a reason.

I'll usually downshift from 5th to 4th, but I try not to go any lower than that. I figure those two are pretty close in ratio so it can't hurt that much. I have heard that downshifting is hard on the synchros so that's why I try to avoid it in the lower gears. I used to downshift all the time and I lost the transmission in my '91 wrangler at about 95K miles. not sure if that was the reason I lost it, but it probably didn't help matters.

I have always been told to downshift. I do not do it in my jeep right now because of a clutch going bad. I would think it would only hurt the clutch. I have always been told it saves the brakes and does not were the clutch very much. I really don't care about the brakes because they only cost about $20 and take 20 min to change but I like downshifting better. When I get the new clutch put in I will start again.

I usually downshift only from 5th to 4th when coming off the highway, however if the roads are wet I'll try to downshift thru 3rd in order to help keep the TJ under control :roll: .

-Nick :!:

i downshift in 2 situations...

A) when i have reached the speed of a given gear at no more than 1500 rpm

B) in the winter when i want my drivetrain working as one piece at all times

there are several times when i do find myself downshifting for acceleration, such as for passing, or sudden traffic changes... when i do that... i ALWAYS rev the engine first to match engine and transmission speeds... after doing it a while, you will get a feel of where the throttle/speed/gear should be

The only time you'll see brake lights on my rig is when I am worried about you not stopping in time without some warning. Otherwise it's engine braking. I almost never, stop without down shifting. That's what makes a T18 so cool. And we ain't gonna hurt it by merely down shifting.

I usually downshift just to keep my jeep on. My on going carb problem makes it stall when not in gear or on the gas so if I put it in neutral and brake I also have to aply some gas to keep in on. Downshifting saves me the trouble of always holding the gas so thats why I do it.

downshift...
definitely downshift all the friggin time on both my vehicles.

If you know HOW to downshift properly, you get better traction control when slowing down than applying the brakes because you are not locking your wheels.

Some people have differing opinions about downshifting into first.
I look at it this way, if you are manuvering in tight places at low speed and have a 4 speed transmission then downshifting into first is soooo handy.
Also, i find that its MUCH easier to shift my transfer case when i am downshifting into first, but thats probably just my jeeps "thing"

I downshift every time I drive. If you know how to drive, it wont hurt your transmission. I've been driving the same bucket truck at work for 5 years now and that clutch is perfect. This in the District of Columbia. I never feel that total "control" with an automatic like I do with a manual. Ask any professional driver and he'll tell you that it is how driving is done. I will say this though - I never downshift into 1st gear.

I always down shift. Always have and always will. I have just over 41k on my TJ and I still have the factory brake pads on it. I just had it inspected the other day and was told that I will need to change the brakes in about 5k more miles. I figure my brakes have last so long because of the downshifting habit. Still like avyoung said it is much cheaper to replace the brakes than the transmission. I guess I will just have to wait and see if all this downshifting is hurting the transmission. But it is a Jeep nothing can hurt it right :lol:

downshifting also uses a LOT more gas... i agree with Alaskan... the T-18 is a lot more durable and is capable of handling it better... but most of us have a crappy ax-whatever... and keep in mind that every time you pull it into a gear, you are using those synchronizers... and if you haven't yet changed to a safe fluid, use the brakes... thats why they are there

Well in my opinion if you know how to drive and you are able to down shift especially on wet roads or off roading then you should. When you are down shifting you should also be applying the breaks as well. This make your Jeep/Car apply stopping resistance to the front and back wheels at once. Because everyone knows that the front breaks recieve most of the breaking force and the back a little. This way the back wheels get slowed down too.

Jeff 8)

Back