Lift Spending Advice?!

outerbeachyj

Hello All,

After months of research and reading posts on here and wheelin' with some of you in the Bostan are, I think I have finally figured out what I am going to do for a lift but wanted to run it by you all for some freindly advice:

I am going to do a 3 1/2" BDS lift complete with shocks, steering stabilizer etc. and 31" Trxus tires by Interco and American Racing AR-23 Wheels. I cannot do this myself! I am thinking of having it all done at Elias 4WD center here in Mass. It will be professionally installed and warrenty included. Is the cost way to high?

$675 3 1/3" BDS lift kit
$40 steering stabilizer
$595 Installation

$1290 TOTAL + tax on parts for lift

$ 110 31" Trxus Interco tire (X5)
$ 100 AR23 Wheels (X5)
$ 75 Mount/Balance/Caps/Nuts etc

$1125 TOTAL + tax for tire/wheel package

$2415 TOTAL for entire job done in one day (11 hours labor)

What do you all think? Should I do it? I wish I could do it myself but I don't have the time or the the knowledge or the garage space etc...

Haveing it done is a good way to go if you have the dough! Yea yea yea I know Jeeps are built not bought and all the that testostrone crap but the truth is a BDS setup done by a pro is a great set up indeed. If something breaks during the install your not out the extra cash. If you have to go rent tools and to the parts place a dozen times then your going to run into extra expence there as well.

I would Contact East Coast Off Road "ecor" as we know them here and get another price quote. PASmokeater went that route and all he does is sing their praises. I have spoken to them on the phone and found them to be very professional.

Not saying that they are any better or worse than anyone else out there just they are members here and I hope to support them when ever possible. Exercise your options and get all the bids on this job you can and may the best jobber win.

Sounds like your getting a great ride built up there and best wishes on your deal here. tug

You could cut out that labor cost by joining a local Jeep Club and setting up a wrench day to install the lift. Around here there are always several jeepers volunteering thier garage and time to help out. But, if you want to spend the money, you do get a little better guarantee I guess.

Ouch! $2400? $750 in labor alone? I understand the tire mount and balance, but $600 for the lift install? How old and rusty is your YJ? If it's got some bolts that've never been torqued and have some good ole atlantic liquid sunshine.. then maybe the labor is worth it. I agree with Bounty... join a club and someone will have air tools and will help you or do most of the work for you, for some beer and lunch and maybe a Jackson or two. But $600 seem's like a lot.

The lift is top quality and the tires and wheels are a good setup as well. You can't really get around those prices, but that labor wouldn't be justifiable in my house.

Just my opinion.

C

304 swap

outerbeachyj said:
What do you all think? Should I do it? I wish I could do it myself but I don't have the time or the the knowledge or the garage space etc...
I say go for it. I got an estimate to install my lift (same lift as yours) and it was pretty similar. I ended up doing mine myself and although it went well and gives me the "i did it myself" braggin' rights, if I had the extra dough, I'd have let 'em do it for me. It's a lot of work, especially for someone who's never done anything like it before. You probably would end up spending a couple of hundred or so in tools/jacks/jackstands if you don't have them (or less to rent) anyway. Done in 1 day? Sweet. Drop it off in AM, pick up your newly trail-capable Jeep in PM. It couldn't hurt to get another estimate, but the labor sounds about the going rate around here.
FYI: I went with the 32x11.50x15's so I could avoid installing the bump-stop extensions that came with the kit (more wheel travel and my tires are under the factory flares). Just a thought :wink:

Man, I'm exited for you. You're going to love that suspension!

-TC

bounty wrote
You could cut out that labor cost by joining a local Jeep Club and setting up a wrench day to install the lift. Around here there are always several jeepers volunteering thier garage and time to help out. But, if you want to spend the money, you do get a little better guarantee I guess

Adam, did you forget about us??? NEJ????
Take the $400 he wants to install it, buy me some beer, I will have you on the road in less than a weekend! The only thing I can't do is mount and balance the tires. just don't have that kind of equiptment.

Elias does not do the work by the way, they have the work contracted by a local wrench up in townsend.

Re: Finally lifted

Beer and buddies with tools are WAAAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper then that. Heck spend half that, road trip here and I will help ya. I did mine in 3.5 hours.

Plus it sounds like you spending a tad much on the lift alone?? My 2.5 was only $420 w/shipping (Jersey to Arkansas) Usually the 2.5 are more then the 4inch lifts??? Maybe I am wrong.

Definitely do it yourself with buddies, way better. Cheaper and feels awesome to accomplish such a thing.

Adam i would go larger on the tires. you see how my jeep sits next to johns and i've got just about the same amount of lift. my 31's look like pizza cutters compared t his 33's. i wish i waited to get new meats, if i were you i'd throw 32's atleast under your bad larry.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I don't think I can go bigger than 31" with the 4 cylinder engine, and I don't want to get involved with re-gearing, or axle changes so I think to be safe I am going to max out at 31" tires. Also, now I am thinking BFGoodrich all terrain TA as I have seen those on lots of Jeeps!

BF AT's are an excellent all around tire. Especially in snowy country. They do grab rocks and tend hold em tight. But I have had them on many, many rigs, and many others and these are the best for all a round.

You'll be ok with a 32 and they'll be a much better fit. I didn't re-gear and don't think I ever will. As far as the price (bakedalaskan's post) The YJ kit is more money, I paid $600 shipped (NJ to MD) but that did include a little extra because I had to get a pitman arm that fit manual steering(about $20 after deducting the power one).

Go with a mud terrain tire. I know they suck on the road in the snow but the only time I have ever seen a jeep become uncapable on the trail is when the tread on an all terrain tire fills up with dirt, mud, and/or snow.

Adam, I think you will make a good decision! just remember, what fits and what fits with out rubbing are two things entirly different. I have a tad over 4 1/2 of lift and my rears are rubbing under full flex! If you were to go with 32 at's on a 2.5 lift, I would consider some type of cut out flare or TJ flares.

Johnny

you are speaking of not wanting to regear or reaxle.... if you get involved in a local club, or talk around and find some local gearheads, you can do that, go with larger tires, and still come out with a much happier wallet

Back