Sandy's dead... need help please

Jeeper84

Hi. I'm sure you all have read my earlier post about the rear axle going out on my Jeep and I know that all of you told me not to drive her in 4hi (front wheel drive), but I had to. I had no other way to get around and bring her to school to get fixed. Well I took her to my autos class and my teacher told me that he didn't have time to look at the rear axle with me :x . I limped her home and on the way there I heard the same BANG! noise that I heard when the rear axle went out. Coasted into a parking lot and took a look. The front driveshaft was severed in half and the Tcase was dripping. I'm really upset. I've been crying over her...telling her I'm so sorry. No one understands why I'm so emotional over her, but I'm sure most of you will. She kept breaking her rear driveshaft and the axle was leaking and Jeep kept fixing the bare minimum and telling me dad that it was all my fault everytime. My dad seems to think she's a lemon whereas the dealership is the lemon. Jeep wants $3k+ to "fix" her. I'm hoping some of you have spare parts to sell. I'm begging for anyone's help with anything! I need this Jeep and I need to fix her myself before my dad decides to scrap her. Please please please help a Jeeper in need. She's more than a vehicle, she's more than a Jeep, she's Sandy, and she's mine...no one else's. Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate everything you guys do even if there isn't anything you can do for me. -Mike (no emotion here.... there isn't one that expresses what I'm feeling)

Hey man so sorry to hear about your Sandy :( What I would do is look around for a private shop and get a quote from them. Usually such places are cheaper than the Stealership. Also look around at your area junk yard. You might be able to find axles and other parts you need to fix her up. Hang in there it will all work out........

I'm not worried about the labor... I intend on doing that at shop class or with neighbors. I just really need the parts. I told my dad that I could part it out from the garage, but I want to see if I can fix her instead and then show him. Maybe he'll even be proud of me :cry: . There aren't many YJs in junkyards around me because they're usually parted out by owners due to the fact that they can bring in about $2k or more. Thanks for the response. -Mike :cry:

yeah I hear you on fixing it your self. Nothing feels better than doing it yourself. I'm sure your Dad would be way proud of you too. Well hopefully some one will come along with a YJ and some spare parts to help u out. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Mike,

You aren't going to like what I have to say, but what follows is expressed with your best interest at heart. Please, consider this advice:

****Ditch the Jeep and cut your losses.****

You are at a stage of life when your options are limited and other priorities absolutely have to take precedence over a vehicle. The fact that your vehicle happens to be a Jeep is irrelevant. A jeep, like all other vehicles, and despite all the advertising inspired hocus-pocus Jeep mystique, is merely a systematically assembled pile of metal, rubber and glass.

Jeeps come and go. Someday there will be another "Sandy."

If you choose to ignore everything above, at least trust me on this: your Dad is proud of you now, and he will always be proud of you. A father's pride in a son is not rooted in the ability to repair a Jeep.

With all sincerity and sympathy,

Gadget

I assumed you had a CJ by looking at your username, so is it a CJ or YJ?

Come on over to www.sija.org/forums and give a shout, a lot of us there have used parts and we're close to you. I know there are a few sets of axles for sale, and maybe a transfer case if that's the problem.

Sounds like the transfer case since it's grenaded both your front and rear driveshafts. It's not hard to replace once you find one, and two driveshafts.

Also check out www.midwestjeepthing.com/forums they are in St. Louis area and thier members have tons of parts. One even has jeep boneyard, so we'll help you get what you need.

Chris

Bounty__Hunter,

im pretty sure he has a '95 Yuppie Jeep aka YJ :mrgreen:

I am sorry to hear about your troubles with sandy. :( I hope you can find the parts you need,I would look for a junked YJ.There is one in my area for 350.CHeck your local recycler.They should have a junked YJ in there somewhere.

Thanks a lot guys! Thanks, Bounty, for the links. I'm in the middle of making a deal with Pablo from MidwestJeepThing! He has everything but the front driveshaft for $500 and he even said that he may give up the driveshaft for an extra $50! WOW I thought it was going to be in the ball park of $1k. Hopefully my parents will let me give it a go. They want to junk her, but they still expect me to pay off the balance I owe to them on her ($4,500) LOL ya right. If anyone in the Chicago burbs area wants to wrench with me and look over me I think it'd be a fun time! I'll keep you posted. Thanks a lot guys! -Mike :D

New guy again -

Well you need to have it fixed even if you are going to sell it. So fix it then they can not say anything because it will be fixed. Just learn a lesson. When something breaks. Don't make it worse by driving it broken, Unless it is something not important. You can really screw some things up.

YUP! that's the guy! Tcase, axles, and both driveshafts for $550. Sound good? I didn't like SIU... wasn't for me. I don't drink nor smoke pot (stopped halfway in the schoolyear). Hated my room mate... just wasn't an overall good expirience. I'm learning more right now about real life and still getting educated in autos. Thanks guys! -Mike :D

I live in Joliet, But i don't have yj or a tj.
I'll give you some help if you want, or if sometime down the road you want to go wheelin, give me a email or something.

pinaplebob

It's not for everybody, shame you didn't have a good experience. I stay away from the dope scene as well, and some of the partys you walk into you have to turn around and leave just as quick once you see what type of party it is.

Where'd you live down there?

Make sure the axles are the correct gear ratio, and make sure the transfer case has the correct input spline count to match what you have now. You can swap your input from the old transfer case to the new one, but it's more involved.

Do you think you'll need the axles if the problem is in the transfer case?

That price is great.

I was in Boomer III. Ya, I've got ADD, so drugs really would help LOL :lol: . The pinion and spiders are shot on the rear axle. The tcase is cracked in half. The front ds is in 2. Those are the only things I need, but it's nice to have replacement readily available. I'm gonna salvage what I can in the rear axle and tcase, but I'll just keep those parts off to the side. Yes, everything will fit.... I checked all of that stuff. Good news... my parents are letting Sandy come home for me to fix (parts and stuff at my expense) and they're buying me a car to drive while I fix her. My dad picked out an 89 Corolla. We're gonna look at it today, but I'm looking up other stuff in case it's not what I want (room, mechanical problems, etc.). Thank, Pineapplebob. I may actually take you up on both of those. Do you have any expirience in this stuff? I'm sure I'll get snagged on stuff a few times. Thanks, guys! -Mike :D

I'm no expert, i've got some experince, just offering a extra set of hands. I wouldn't put much faith in my mechanical skills. but yeah never know.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
Turns out my parents bought me an 89 Toyota Corolla with 114k miles....carbuerated. I can't figure out why it idles a 1500 after it warms up. Oh well, it's something with 150% better mpg than Sandy while I"m working on her hahaha. I wouldn't put much trust in my mechanical work either, pineapple, but it's a shot I've gotta make and a great learning expirience so don't worry about it. If you want to work on her with me, I think it'd be great, but if not it's cool. -Mike :lol:

Back