webber carb??

1987yj

will installing a webber carb on my 6cyl 4.2 1987yj eliminate some of these damn hoses that are all over the place,like the ones coming from the breather/?? whats the best way to get rid of some of these emmision parts----every time i take a hose off and plug it my jeep seems to want to run better.......what gives???? HELP!!!!!!!!

The weber will get rid of SOME of the hoses and clean things up drasticly, but you will still need the PCV routing back and forth to your valve cover.

I tried it for a while with just the front PCV hooked up with a breather filter on the back, but i found that frequently oil would start coming up throug the breather filter instead of going down that little pcv hose like its supposed to.

Here's a great writeup on installing the weber along with detailed info on the hose routing:
http://home.jps.net/~sanchez3/Weber/install/install.htm

I've also got detailed pictures of the way my weber is wired up which is only slightly different from what is specified here. The main difference has to do with the way that my ported (distributor) vacuum is hooked up
Pretty much, they have ported and manifold vacuum BACKWARDS on this diagram. The ported should go direct to the distributor, and the manifold should go to the CTO.

Oh, by the way... if your PCV hoses are slowing down your engine, you might have a clogged Evap canister filter... Just a thought

I had a guy put a weber on my 85 CJ7 about 5-6 years ago and he had a 5 gal. bucket full of vacuum lines and wires/sensors he took off my engine. You can actually see my motor now! Oh, and did I mention it runs about 1000x better? Sounds good, more power, better gas mileage, and it actually idles now. Best buy is $289 on ebay (at least that I've seen).

I have a weber on my 80 cj5 and it runs like crap. I am not sure why. I will look at the diagrams and see if it is mounted right. I have seen some pretty poor work from the previous owner.

avyoung said:
I have a weber on my 80 cj5 and it runs like crap. I am not sure why. I will look at the diagrams and see if it is mounted right. I have seen some pretty poor work from the previous owner.

Yeah, mine ran like crap too until i fixed the vaccuum routing.
The biggest thing that helped (at least on my engine) was routing the ported vacuum to the distributor.
I'm sure there were also some leaky vaccuum hoses as well, so i just replaced the lot of them with nice fancy red silicone hoses.

I just recently installed a Weber 38 on my '85 Cj-7, and man, my Jeep is a monster now. My engine is stock, I have the HEI distributor, and now with the carb it runs beautifully. Like chinard said, run ported vacuum to the distributor, and manifold vacuum to the CTO. One thing I also did was tee off a line from the ported vacuum to the vacuum reservoir. Seems like it might help a little, but definitely does not hurt it at all. I also have the manifold vacuum running to the res as well. One other thing, I capped off the pulse air tubes. To sum things up, IMHO, definitely go with the 38 if you do get the Weber carb.

Check out the Motorcraft 2100 carb if you want something that will run better than a Weber on inclines, and much cheaper.

I have a Weber it runs great. When I first hooked it up it was crappy but never stalled. It take some fine tuning and make sure you connections are good with no leaks. As with all Jeeps if you have one little leak it will run like crap no mater what you have. I also replaced all my vacuum wires with the silicone ones. Good luck.

Back