buckshot mudders - problems

1981CJ5

wanted cj7 parts

I bought a 1981 CJ5 awhile back and it came with 33" buckshots. Now I use this as my daily driver and travel about 100 miles each way to work each way, all interstate, not a comfortable ride to say the least.

Problem is, the rubber is coming off of the tires, all the way down to the fiber ply underneath. Anyone else ever had this problem?

The tires were in good shape at time of purchase with plenty of tread. Did not appear to have any dry rot either.

Thanks.

I've ran several sets of Radial Buckshot Mudders in the 33" flavor with no problems. Quite a few highway miles too.

I can't think of any reason other than dryrot that would cause the tires to come apart like that.

deffinatly dry rot it probably started at light dry rot and as it started to chunk it got worse happened to my BFg's

jeep TJ Disco brackets

i just have one question. how do you drive a '5' one hundred miles on the highway every day?.....

hmmm a hundred miles each way? thats 200 mmiles a day....... 1000 a week thats alot of miles. i do about 100 miles a day and thats horrible and i got a TJ which is supposed to better on road than the CJ's

It is really not a bad drive, a little rough maybe, but not bad. I have been driving like this now for about 2 months, you do the math on the mileage.

My CJ5 has original engine and carter carb, and I am getting 18-20 MPG currently. So far I have only run out of fuel once, inop fuel gauge, which I hear is common.

So far, I have replaced the rear gears( I do not do much off roading as of yet), installed a high performance ACCEL coil and that is about it. Now I am chasing down an oil leak, which I believe is coming from a worn out valve cover seal. I am planning on ditching the plastic cover for an aluminum soon and installing a new exhaust manifold since the current is rusted badly and is leaking also.

All in all, for the $2000 I paid for it, it has paid for itself already.

Hard top windows

I have a set of buckshot mudders 33inches I love them never had a problem. Maybe a factory defect. I ran an all terrain version of the Maxxis before that no problems.

I have an 82 cj7,258 weber carb and 32's, and drive an average of 100 miles to work each day. I love the drive over a one ton ford or chevy van. It's kinda like horses, you pick the one right for the job and that you have fun with. You'll definatly like the aluminum valve cover.

Back