Letting the beast get the better of me.

MOngo1970

:oops: Greetings, I'm (trying to) run a stock '85 CJ-7 but am becoming dumbfounded at every turn. It ran terribly rough when I bought it 3 months ago, so I replaced the Carter BBD with a recently rebuilt one...fixed it a little. Was getting terrible gas mileage...until I saw the fuel return from the filter was leaking and spraying, replaved all of that. But now I can only get the darn (ohhh sorry my lovely Jeep) thing to go a few hundred yards without dying! Im at a loss.

BTW, it sounds awfull when it starts (LOUD), the flywheel inspection plate is missing from the driver's side, and the starter checks good when I took it off and hooked it up to the battery.

Mongo

Hey Mongo,welcome to the board!I too have a troublesome carter carb.I am no expert when it comes to carbs.If you live in or near the conejo valley,check out conejo carbs.He worked wonders on my carter.

What city are you from?I am in the Thousand Oaks area.Hope you get your problems sorted out and hope to see you out on the trail.

clutch linking some fluid

Thanks for the welcome, Ive been watching and learning for a while...but didn't have anything productive to add or ask until now.

I bought this CJ-7 in July, from a guy in Burbank, for probably to much money, but after I sold my '82 Scrambler (I plead INSANITY) I've had the bug since. I'm in San Diego...just a hour from the hills and desert in Imperial county.

I'm not sure it's the carb. I bought it off a buddy who was upgrading to the Webber (not registered in Ca.) and his jeep ran smooth a silk with it. I am leaning to a fuel delivery problem?!? But dont' know if it's common. Everything uphill of the fuel pump is new, and when I started it last I took off the fuel return line (into a plastic bottle) and gas was flowing.

Might be electrical though, but I want to eliminate the fuel side first...any ideas? :?:

Mongo

The last 3 times it died, it just quit...no odd noises, sounds just like it would if you turned off the key.

Well, I got through the fuel system last night and besides a tempermental fuel sending unit it's providing gas OK. :? Besides the obvious checking for fouled plugs...and spark at the end...what other electrical bugs would just make it quit like that?

I'll take any troubleshooting help I can get.
:wink:
Mongo

Finally borrowed a buddy's gauge, and the fuel pressure reads at about 4 psi.

Checked the plugs, looking normal...BIG spark, so the juice is gettin' there.

Im running out of Ideas. Anyone?

Thanks for the help Sully. I'm going to try the TFI upgrade before I switch back to my spare Carter BBL. If it works I'll be interested to figure out what was bad or if it just needed a little "FM". (Freakin Magic!)

I'd rather be lucky than good, any day! :mrgreen:

Mongo

:D Whooooo Hooooo! I installed the "Team Rush" TFI ignition upgrade on Saturday and the Jeep screamed to life! I wish I knew exactly what was wrong with it before (coil, dist., wires...) so if it happens again I can fix it or help someone else...but at least it's working now.

Thank you again Sully, K_K_PSI_GUY and bksmith for the help and advice.
:wink:

Mongo

One good thing about changeing the parts that you thought were the problem,now they are new parts and you dont have to worry about them.

Back