Soft top components fit with hardf top on??

jpaj88

I just bought my jeep from a private party. Its a 97 Sport. It came with the soft top on. Im going to pick up the hard top tomorrow, its about a half hour drive. Can I drive there with the soft top on, disassemble it there and fit all the soft top components in the back seat and passenger seat with the hard top on?

Or do I have to take everything off, and drive there topless?

Sorry for my newbie question.
Thanks,
Joe

Yeah dude, it's all good. When the soft top goes down, it fits on the 'INSIDE' of the Jeep. When the hard top goes on, it fits on the 'OUTSIDE' of the Jeep.

I was wondering this myself. So yesterday, when I put the hard top on, I left the soft top on, just to see if it would fit, and it did (then I took the soft top off). Brad is an 03' but I am I'd be willing to guess it's all the same for TJ's.

HHMMM...your in MA! Western, what town? We should get together with some other Jeepz membas and do some wheelin!

Thanks for the quick reply Laura. Im from Chicopee Ma. Its right next to Springfield. I might be up for some light 4 wheelin, Im new to the sport, so be gentle.

So for the soft top, it actually has to come off, and it can fit in the back seat, or are you saying it can just be folded down and the hard top will fit over it? I didnt get a look at the hard top so Im not sure what it hooks onto.

Thanks,
Joe

Laura, I thought the Jeep video said not to put the hard top on without removing the soft top. Thought it could somehow damage the soft top. Someone fill us in as I am going to have to go pick up my hard top soon and also wonder if i have to remove the soft first.

The Soft top is under there (For Shipping Only)

I don't see any issues with you having the top on there when you pick up the hard top. However, as the video suggest, when you get home remove the hard top and the soft top then replace the hard top. you don't really want to chance messing up your soft top and having to replace it next summer. When in doubt . . . take it out.

Chicopee, I've been there!! My friend had a friend that lives there, his name is Larry, he was cool. I think he still works at the Big Y in Springfield.

I'm not saying leave it like that, with both tops on for extended periods of time. I was just wondering if both would fit on. They both did.

If you take the soft top off, would it fit inside, hmmm...it's big...it might fit. Personally I would take the soft top off...it is very easy..then you don't have to worry about it fitting.

I think we are doing a trail ride in Warren if you want to be in, your in!
BTW, I am very new at it, too. My Jeep is only 2 months old...I'v been on a few trail rides, and Paragon, you can take it easy, but you will be surprised what your stock jeep can do...I am everytime I take him out.

OK, looks like I will just take the soft top off tomorrow before I go pick up the hard top. Since the hard top will be staying on for the rest of the winter anyway. I practiced today taking off the back window and side windows. The hard part seemed to be the hard plastic above the doors. Is there a trick to getting this part off quickly?

-Joe

Off quickly? I'll tell you how I do it. Take out all the windows, un 'hook' the back 2 corners, un latch the inside, then the hard plastic should be 'loose' enought to come out. That's just how I'v done it.

I don't know if it right or wrong, but it works for me.

Actually, for me, I roll the Plastic pieces out first. That is how it is easiest for me and it doesn't put any unwanted strain on the stiching by having the top pull on it when it is released. Remember, New tops are harder to get on and off Plus if you have the Kahki top it is thicker material and is a little tougher.

Thumb under the plastic strips pointer fingers on the top pull down and roll them out from under there.

1992 YJ FOR SALE!

It is impossible for me to get the plastic peices out first...the back corner have to be out, or I just can't get them. Maybe my muscles arn't as big as yours. :shock: <----I just wanted to use that guy... :D

Back