bleeding the brakes

nevermind i found it 8) ....so i bled the brakes and now its much better. BUT there is always a but....no when i apply the brake it almost goes to the floor, then i have to hit it again to build up pressure. after that its fine. anyone know why it would do that?

Sounds like you have more air in there. Bleed them again. also make sure you have plenty of fluid in the resuvoir.

And be sure you bleed them starting at the wheel farthest from the master cylinder and ending with the wheel closest to the master cylinder.

The order for bleeding should be:

Pass. side rear
Driver side rear
Pass. side front
Driver side front

-Nick :!:

The driver's side rear should be the furthest bleeder away from the master cylinder on a CJ because the line drops down in the rear on the passenger side. 8)

D Side Rear
P Side Rear
P Side Front
D Side Front

It may be dropping to the floor cuz you either need new rear brake shoes, or to adjust the rear brakes. Adjust the rear brakes until the shoes barely drag on the drum, then loosen slightly. This should firm your pedal back up.

If you have disc brakes in the front , you need to bleed the front first. This will allow the proportioning valve to locate the plunger in the middle of the travel. This is covered in the Jeep owners Bible, and it works because I had the same problem.

Later,
Jackal

Here's something else that makes it a little easier. Get some clear poly hose from Lowe's or Home Depot. I think 5/16" should be the right size. Push it on over the bleeder when you crack the lines. The clear hose will allow you to see any air bubbles going through. You can also stick the other end in a coke bottle to catch the fluid.
Sounds more to like the problem is in the master cyl. You may try bench bleeding it again or build pressure and crack the main lines at the master cyl. Then re-bleed at each wheel.

Back