Exhaust Restiction

hi_c

Where is HP hurt the most in regards to the exhaust system: the cat.converter, or the muffler?

My real question is, is there really a performance increase if a High-Flow MUFFLER is put behind a stock cat.converter? I mean, what good is it to have a "hi-flow" muffler, if the flow is already decreased by the cat? Know whut I mean?

C

Most late-model catalytic converters offer little restriction. If yours is stock, I'd recommend the hiflow, it can be had for as little as $70. Most of the restriction on late-model vehicles is in the muffler.

When you say "late model" catalytic converters, are you referring to the cat.converter being new or the Jeep? Cause I'm buying a new replacement cat ($88 ), but it's direct fit for my 89 YJ.

Where can you get a hi-flow cat. for $70?!!

If you want it to breath get a Flowmaster or other flow free exaust muffler and loose the cat or hollow it out. Yes there are laws aginst that as there is speeding and jay walking and other thing we disreguard every chance we get. With Fule prices as they are and all it is worth getting caught doing. tug

depending on where you live... you might be able to get away with no cat... and nobody will ever know... even when NY adopts the strict laws, i'll still get around it

If you look at my signature, I have no cat.converter now. It's been gutted. But it stinks to high heaven and the wife won't even ride in it. Plus we have a baby on the way and she won't let the baby ride in it while it stinks.

I've been loving the improved power, but have to put a functioning cat.converter back in. So I was gonna go with a stock converter, but put a hi-flow muffler on. I was wondering how my power will change?

C

Back