CJ 7 mods

JEEPCJXJ

alright i have a 1982 CJ 7 im looking to upgrade some stuff this comming winter. They include a new transmission. which is the best one to bolt up to this already awesome JEEP? i hear it is a T-18A. also what about a good carb? the JEEP idles great and runs great on the street but as soon as i get it off road on some pretty insane angles it starts to cut out and stall with a little skill i can keep it going but just wondering what i could replace it with?? also what about changing the stock 15 gallon gas tank to a 22 gallon tank??? [/img]

Where do you live? Sully has an 82 with the stock carb. In CA the least problem ,because of emission laws, is to rebuild. We actually exchanged ours with another stock rebuilt. Kind of a trade in your crappy core deal. About $350 including a tuning. It has been performing flawlessly. knock

the t18 is a good swap but in now way an easy swap. there input shafts arent the same size, and the t-cases are very diffrent

i live in West Virginia and some of the mountains here have some good hill climbs with some pretty deep rutts making for some wierd angles.

and if anyone knows where i can locate a T-18A please let me know

and if anyone knows where i can locate a T-18A please let me know
i hope you are pretty mechanical b/c a t18 swap includes tearing down the transmission and installing a new input shaft and maybe output shaft.... ask jprtroy....he has done it

Even on an 82 model?? Is that due to the 300 transfer case??
If so that would wrap up any debate with myself whether I have a 20 or a 300 case. The T-18 is awesome for all things. But be warned it is loud especially pulling hard in third. (Audable tach :D ) Shifts are long throws. But there is nothing like it for strength,and reliability. 3rd gear at 10mph and under, granny low "no feet" hill climbs or decents.

Screw carbs all together. Get injection system. (cheap - expensive their all good) It is WEEEELLLLL worth the extra cash. Best mod on my Jeep hands down.

What transmission do you currently have? If it's a T-176 then I would leave it alone. The T-176 to Dana 300 is a good combo. It wouldn't be worth the swap. You could put a 4 to 1 kit in the transfer case cheaper and still be able to run on the street.
As far as carbs..throw it in the trash! I know that will offend some people who love carbs and ar old school. Let's face it though...everyone knows fuel injection is the bomb and will save you money in the long run. For the best prices on custom kits go to www.customefis.com

The durability of the T-18 is without question, but if you don't NEED it.....why put yourself through feeling like your driving a dump truck every time you shift gears? I agree with redrooster, the Dana 300 transfer case has a pretty good low range that works well with the 4.03:1(?) first gear in the T-176. Unless you actually need the ultra-low first of the T-18, you might be better off to choose another option.

Even on an 82 model?? Is that due to the 300 transfer case??
If so that would wrap up any debate with myself whether I have a 20 or a 300 case.

Yes, the jeep 300 uses an input shaft, while the jeep dana20 uses a bull gear, the scout dana300 on the other hand does use a bull gear, but they were only made in 1980 thats why a scout 300 is about $600-700 and a jeep 300 is $150-250

I just installed the Motorcraft 2500 carb and after a little tinker time with it ai am very happy. Angles so far are not a problem. Now a higher rmp range, starts ez, and idles like a champ. as for the T-18 I love mine it is a creepy thing to do as you said go any where with no feet on the peddles. Man it will get down and crawl like a turtle. When you drive my ol jeep you know you are in a Jeep. No frills at all. No music no fancy floor mats no pretty anything to speak of just bare bones get in and go get the thing done Jeep. Now that it runs like it should I will start to mod it out to make it trail worthy. tug

Back