Turn Signal Problems!!

Dutch

I have a 80 CJ-5 that blows a fuse every time I use the right turn signal! Are there any electrical geniuses out there that can tell me where to begin looking?

It's a short, most likely in the taillamp assemblies (this is not me claiming to be an electrical genius :wink: ).

Well, it sounds like a wire may be damaged and shorting out. Check out you wiring harnesses and make sure they are not grounded where they are not supposed to be. You may want toespecially check the areas where you may have damaged or messed with recently.-al

Terry, attaboy

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully I can get it figured out this evening. I have one of those fancy multi-meters but not a clue how to use it!! Makes a lot of sense, huh!

Get your multimeter and check resistance to ground for turn signal wires that are not supposed to be grounded (like the 12V wire.) I would just pull off the cover for the front or rear signal and test between the positive light bulb socket contact and the negative one. Infinite equals good, a moving needle equals bad. If you don't find a problem, move on to the next signal. You probably have a short on the hot wire between your switch and your front or rear signal, which means there will be little resistance between that wire and ground. Good luck.

Back