Noise from transmission and gas smell

kidk9

Ok, just bought a 78 CJ5 this last week. I've owned 3 YJ's, so this should be some more hardcore fun. Here's what I need help with. First, the exhaust pumps out some serious gas smell. Is the carb running too rich or what? Next, when I'm on the highway, get it up to about 50 or so, its fine, no weird noises. But when I take my foot off the accelerator and let it coast, it makes a weird clicking sound until about 20 mph. Any ideas what this is? I realize this is going to make all kinds of noises I have no idea what they are, but this one just concerns me a bit. Man, thanks for your help and ideas, I really appreciate it.

-Kid[addsig]

Is the Catalytic Converter still present?

could be running rich...could also be a leaking head gasket ...we need more details,does it smoke at start up or while driving,burn oil,lose coolent..???

clicking sound?Do you have access to a garage lift?

you could lift the jeep up,support it on jacks,start it up and put it in gear

if you go this route please BE EXTREMLY CAREFUL!!!

But not knowing you or your abilties i CANNOT recommend that either...[addsig]

Like Berreta said I´ve had the best luck chasing down wierd noises on the lift. Applying a little parking brake while running it on the lift sometimes helps and a piece of pipe from a suspect toruble spot, to your ear often helps nail down drivtrain noises. Drivetrain noise, has a way of traveling through the drivetrain and can really fool a person. I´ve had some really nasty smells come from my exhaust when the motor was running to lean or to rich. A look at the plugs after a short drive up the interstate tells alot about how a motor is running. Number one plug usually runs a little leaner, than the rest. Back plugs are usually a little rich. Yo don´t have to pull them all, just a couple. The lift can be dangerous, I´ve seen two mechanics get hurt, one with clothing and one with hair that got caught up in the drivetrain. I´ve often seen clicking in the front prop shaft U-joints (usually while turning) I guess a driveshaft U-joint could click also. The book says a chipped gear tooth somewhere will also click, but every chipped tooth I´ve seen usually rattles.

I chased down one click, to loose flex plate bolts in auto transmission.[addsig]

Back