4x4 problems

japish

Haaving problems with my 89 yj....... i put it in 4x4 and the front drive shaft turns but the alxe won't engauge.. does some one have a diagram i can print off?

Check your vacuume lines going to the front axel on the passenger side. This is causeing the front hubs to not lock in and pull. If this is the cause I can show you how to be a cable posi lock system to make it a better than factory system. Check the lines I bet one has popped off. Tug

image-missing.png

Pull the two vacuum lines from the front axle disconnect. With the jeep running and chocked, have somebody shift from 2wd to 4wd and back. Strong vacuum should switch back and forth between the two ports. This should help you find the problem.

thanks guys all it was was the red manifold vacum.. you guys are a big hepl thanks agian.

is the vaccum the same reason that my 4WD light doesnt turn on...and yes i checked the bulb

that will cause the light not to come on

bounty.. are those drag slicks on that wrangler in the diagram?

LtFuzz, that will keep the light from coming on. Chances are the pass. side axle shaft in front is not engaging, meaning no 4wd for you until it's fixed. It's a pretty easy system to troubleshoot once you're familiar with it, let me know if you need any help.

Snitty, those are MT DOT legal drag tires. If I had done the diagram, they'd be shorter

and 10 slots in the grill? for cooling puposes i would assume... that thing must be a dragstrip monster

Well im sure glad i found this post. Ive just finish changing the clutch and somehow managed to stop 4wd engaging when i took out the trans. I thought it might me that i'd disconected one of the vacuum lines and reading above it turned out to be the red one as well which apparently goes to the manifold. Only problem is im not sure if im just being really blind but i cant seem to find exactely where it connects. I dont suppose anyone could kind of direct me in the right location can they??

He's being secretive....I think we need top secret clearance er something

Back