CJ7 Sputters, Stalls and Won't Start, Then It's Fine The Nex

jsharifi

About a week ago on a rainy wednesday night my jeep suddenly started sputtering and stalled out. Then it refused to start again. So I got out and pushed it to the side of the road.

It wouldn't start at first, but then after it sat for about ten minutes it would crank up for a few seconds and then die again. I suspected that it might be the fuel pump or filter (not that I really know for sure because I'm not nearly as mechanically inclined as a lot of people on this board).

Anyway, not knowing what action to take with it, I decided to let it sit overnight. I came back the next morning and it started right up. It's been a week now and I can't find anything to explain why it died and then suddenly came back to life the next morning.

My Jeep has the original 258 and Carter BBD... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

85 CJ[addsig]

Did the Cap,wires,maybe even the rotor get wet?

Did we drive through a big puddle of water before we stalled?

has it done it since? and has it rained?[addsig]

Welcome to the world of the BBD, especially the computer controlled BBD. Bad stuff in general. The pre-1980 BBDs aren't all that bad actually..... The best thing to do is scrape a few bucks together and get yourself the Mopar MPI kit. I've done this on all my 258 CJs and for a few customers as well and it can't be beat. Better fuel milleage and a LOT more power. [addsig]

I checked the cap and wires when it died and nothing was really wet at all under the hood. I didn't drive it through a big puddle and it hasn't done it since.

As far as the BBD is concerned, I've been fairly lucky with mine... don't get me wrong, its can tempermental at times, but its not something that I would consider replacing because my experiences with it haven't been that bad.

Thanks for your help,

Jim[addsig]

Concerning the BBD-2 I read some comments that in idle is not fine, but high rpm yes.

My experience is same except what concerns mileage. My best done is 10 miles per gallon and I was doing all recommended to improve, but failes totally and up to now, is a mistery why did not start up. Tomorrow I hope to be fixed the problem and will share the reason what was wrong.

regards

willy
image-missing.png
[addsig]

The same thing happened to mine a while back...it slowly got worse though (happening more often and then would not idle in gear). I did the mod that is talked about in the how to section on this website and that fixed it. You might want to think about doing that if you have not already.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Does someone has a solution 99% tested and experienced for improving mileage for the carter BBD with engine 6 - 258 1983?

I took notice for :

1 weber carburator

2 MPI mopar.. $1,650

3 jacobs ignition with electronic module.. no reference price

4 to eliminate computer under dash (I have not since I owned the jeep)

5 change with a carb from truck ford 1982 f-350

6 to forget if you have large engine and big carburator

any suggestion will be appreciated

regards

willy[addsig]

Back