Your favorite Non Comercial Mod's.

Tug-n-pull

I post some thing along this same line some time back but we got a newer bigger crop of smart folks around now so let giver a new try.

What is the best mod you have preformed to your Jeep that you can call home grown or home made. If you heard about it and or read about it then did it with parts and pieces you had to make or find. Things that did not come in a box with directions. Things that make Jeepen just a little more personal and fun. On Board Air from the junk yard parts you scrounged up. Bumpers built out of what ever, that type of projects. Gatorladys great CJ Snorkle, I think it was Joopin that made an air intake for a YJ that was nicer than anything K&N put out. You know what I mean let us learn from each other here. tug

sway bar disconnects.... 7/16x2.5" hitch pin, clip, 3/8" washers... cost about 5.00 for the pair..... gained 7" flex in the front end....

pvc safari rack - 1" pvc - cost 50.00

Rear veiw with lights out of a 97 camaro ~ $10
Tire swing and bumper ~ $120 ~ holds the tire, jerry can, hi-lift
Power Locks ~ $20
Random metal pieces to hold things and hide things ~ $??
Driving a one of a kind jeep ~ PRICELESS

replaceing the two peice dana 30 axle shaft in my 89 YJ with an a one peice axle shaft out of a XJ. no more vacum shifter...WOOT :lol:

Putting an alarm on my jeep. Thats right. My steering wheel is really messed so whenever it turned a bit, the horn would go off and never stop. Only I knew what to do (and I'm not telling). It did get annoying for it going off every time I turned the car though so I went to OSH and got me a switch and drilled a hole in the dash and mounted it and the horn wire to it. I controlled wheter the two wires were connected. In the ON position, the horn goes off at the first turn of the steering wheel and never stops. A jackass trying to steel my car would run the battery out. :) On OFF, the horn cannot go off. So, since I have it on off whenever I'm driving, I just don't have a horn. So, I went down to pepboys and installed an airhorn. I drilled another hole in the dash and sent the airhorn wire to a button. I guess the last part is commercialized but oh well.

My favorite home brewed mod would probably be my rocker skids, 4"x4"x.25" angle iron and 2"x2" square tubing. 6" of skid surface on the bottom and a decent step. Makes a good standoff for trees, rocks, and the hilift.
DSCN3174JPG-4.jpg

Just getting around to this but the thumb throttle is a great mod. YJ's are ez to install. I am going to have to look at the carbed CJ for a bit till I get started. Works like an off road cruise control to keep them RPMs up just a bit and also works on the road as a typical cruise control. When winching or jumping some one off it helps to keep the power going into the battery. Last one I did cost less than 20 bucks. When you are on rough trails it takes away that bounce throttle thing you have hitting the bumps. tug

Bounty, that gas tank mod is a great freebie! I did that one also.

I built a rear liftgate for my hardtop (from a CJ7),plexiglass, factory hinges, self stick weatherstripping on the hardtop, and 3/8" emissions hose split and glued around the plexiglass make for a good seal. I made a wooden trim for the bottom and that is held closed by the tailgate and also sealed with self stick weatherstripping. I have bought but not yet received a YJ trim piece for the bottom and plan to replace the wood with it if I ever receive it from the possible deadbeat eBay seller! At first, this was going to be temporary, but it looks pretty good and is tight, so I'm keepin' it! :D

Blazer Heater motor swap!

Messy install, cheap parts, but very effective results... Especially for us CJ owners that seem to have less heat than an old VW beetle!

Nutter bypass is a good one too, but it doesnt apply to my jeep cause my model pre-dates the computer!

Also, Would the TFI mod count?

I know i bought mine as a "kit", but the instructions are up there for most people to do themselves.

Moved my Oil pressure and Water temp gauges to the left of the steering wheel on a 20% angled trim piece so they actually face me instead of my knees.

made my own 1/8 plate brushed aluminum dash plate to cover the existing holes and around the odometer.

Have parts need time............................ok maybe Focus :roll:

Electric pusher fan from an Xterra
four 35 watt flood lights under the frame for rock lights.
intank electric GM fuel pump mounted on a CJ sender (For my TBI)

BostonJeep and I did the gas tank mod on our jeeps a couple months ago, He has a 95 4cyl and I have a 94 I6. His worked fine, but when I took the inside hose out to cut it down, it was already only three inches long. So I cut about 1/2 inch off, went down to fill the tank, and only got 15 gallons. The tank has never been replaced unless it was prior to purchase. It is a true 15 gallon!

- Custom dents in hood from standing on it while hooking up tow strap when stuck in mud.

- Welding doors - The part that goes around the window to the door. I think it's made to move a little but since it moves, it rusts. Helped to get rid of wind noise when I have my hardtop on too.

jps4jeep said:
BostonJeep and I did the gas tank mod on our jeeps a couple months ago, He has a 95 4cyl and I have a 94 I6. His worked fine, but when I took the inside hose out to cut it down, it was already only three inches long. So I cut about 1/2 inch off, went down to fill the tank, and only got 15 gallons. The tank has never been replaced unless it was prior to purchase. It is a true 15 gallon!

I just threw the inside tube away. It does nothing.

Tug, since you posted this question and we seem to be having a blizzard of heater mod questions, here is an easy and inexpensive heater mod that my son and I did to a CJ that he once owned:

We installed that pre-formed, semi-rigid black foam water pipe insulation -- intended to be used to insulate water pipes in a house -- around the heater hoses of his Jeep. We just slipped the foam insulation around the full length of the Jeep heater hoses and tie-wrapped the foam at several inch intervals.

The foam pipe insulation comes in different inside diameters and I can't remember which size we used, but that should be easy enough to measure.

My son claimed there was an improvement in heater performance because of the installation of that foam insulation. I can't personally verify that improvement because I never spent much time in that Jeep during cold weather, but I toss out the idea for what it might be worth.

Regards,

Gadget

For me, it would have to be adding two miles of weather strippng to keep the cool in during the summer and the cool out during the winter.

I want to do a thumb throttle. Has anyone ever seen any instructions for a thumb throttle on a CJ?

Pipe insulation wrap, great idea. I used that stuff on a good chunk of my soft top bars. Keeps the soft top from slapping every thing in the wind. Works great. I know I know,..........Why try to fight the noises in a CJ.
It's a sickness I can't help it. :D

Back