Question about my Ford 8.8" rearend.

Craig

Longest Lasting Super Swampers

I've got an 8.8" rearend sitting here that I'm gonna install this summer when I do my spring over lift. The rearend is out of a 96 Ford Explorer. Just wondering if it has ABS brakes and if so will I need to change anything on my jeep? Will I have ABS if I keep my stock jeep master cylinder or brake booster? Don't know much about ABS brakes...all I know is that they pulse on and off to prevent locking up. What controls the pulsing of the brakes?

you will likely not have the abs sensors for the system, you will only have non abs power brakes

It'll have tone rings and sensors/wires mounted to the backing plate if it has ABS. Either way it will work fine with your current master cylinder, without using ABS.

You would need the ABS master cylinder and proportioning valve, and I don't know if you'd need the ABS ECM or not.

There is a used '95 master cylinder w/ABS at a friends house near me, it's for sale if you thought it would work.

I'm pretty sure the 95 and newer jeeps came with ABS as an option. You think this would work? If not, a friend of a friend owns a wrecking yard and he still has the Explorer there that I got the rearend out of. But thanks anyway.

94 and 95 are the only two years you could get a ABS option, a master out of a XJ, ZJ, or WJ would also work from what I read. (I know reading it doesn't make it true) I don't think the ABS modual from the YJ's would work cause the 8.8 is disc brakes, and the YJ's came with drum only. I will consult my friend who owns a brake shop later today!

Did the YJ's with ABS have 4-wheel ABS or front only?

Why do you want the ABS? I wouldn't go through much trouble for it.

New Old Seats In My Jeep! Lastest Improvement

I figure if it's there and I can make it work without too much trouble then why not?

Is there a difference in the width of a Yj and a Cj axel if any? tug

Back