FINALLY ORDERED MY LIFT

hi_c

HOLY CRAP! :shock: My lift is finally on it's way. I went with the www.HellCreekSuspensions.com lift. Let me tell you why. I originally planned on doing the Rough Country lift for $350/kit. Then I found out about the Hell Creek lift. They use the Rough Country kit, except for the springs. Hell Creek is actually owned by Laher Spring corporation. So the owner Tom Laher puts his 4" springs in with the kit... not the 3" lift springs from Rough Country. The kit is only $389 and he gives a Limited Lifetime Warranty on the springs (only springs) for as long as they are on the Jeep and I own the Jeep. Shipping is a flat $85.

$474 out the door. Should be here in a week. I won't be lifting until December 6. Tires will come around Christmas. I'm using homemade 1/2" lift shackles too, and I will shoot for the 33x10.50 BFG M/Ts.

Pics will come after tires are on. I'm so stoked.

C

lincoln locker

Hey, Looks like a good deal. Did you order the steering stabilizer too? Are you re-gearing your 2.5 L to run this lift and the 33 tires? Good luck with the install.

NIce research on the copany background. Good luck on the install. Have a good friend over that day and a side grinder die cutter torch and a lot of good humor. tug

I would like to regear, but don't plan to do it in the immediate future. I will plan on getting a dynomax muffler, already have the k&n, and I need to remove my A/C, but no one will buy it.

Tug, why will I need all those cuttin tools? The only bolt/nuts I'm worried about is the pitman arm. All the others have been removed at least once in the time I've owned the Jeep.

C

The spring bolts quickly seize in the sleeves, depending on how long ago you had them out and if you put anything on the bolt when you put it back together.

Sounds like you have a good plan. If you have any trouble during the install, give a shout.

Pitman arm puller and a BFH. Tighten the puller, whack the arm with the BFH. It has a sweet spot around the shaft, hitting the arm at an upward 45* angle to the shaft. Tighten, wham, tighten, wham. It should pop off.

If not, cut a notch or two with an angle grinder, being careful not to damage the steering shaft. Pop the arm loose with a chisel in the slot you cut.

350 Q/A

Dont forget to mark the center of the steering shaft that the arm is attached to... center the steering wheel, make a mark with a nail or someing what won't rub off. then you can center the new one and have your steering not out of whack.

hi_c said:
go ahead and tell me up front what I'm gonna need to get that pitman arm off. thanks.

C

I got everything except one main spring eye bolt out with sockets and a breaker bar. The pass side main eye bolt was cut off with a sawsall. As far as the pitman arm, I ended up paying a local body shop to do it, they charged me $70. Money well spent I say! They broke a puller in the process and I don't regret paying for them doing it at all. You can screw up your steering box if you get too crazy on it. Tug had a pretty good idea about using a big long piece of steel and a BFH, but I went the easy-out on that one. That is the only time I've had anybody but me work on my Jeep (other than mounting tires and front end alignment)!

You may get the nuts off the spring hangers and shackles but getting the bolts out are a hole new game! Trust me have the tools there and if You Do Not Need Em all that much better. Good luck and have a ball! tug

Back