Lining up the front drive shaft...

MOngo1970

CA:Stock TJ coils,shocks(gas high with 30" wheel packag

Well, I was whooping it up on the beach that runs along the San Diego Bay this evening and somehow dropped my front drive shaft off of the T-case. I didn't get a chance to get up under it yet, but in mt Chilton book it says just hook it back up, and my Haynes manual says to mark it when removing and line them back to the prior way...of course after cleaning and inspection. Anyone had to do this before?

Matt

I think they were talking about when you remove a drive line to mark them so you can line em up when you reconnect. You are not going to be able to do this cause you did not mark em prior to the removal. hehehe Reason some say to do thei sis to keep everything in balance. Don't worry about all that now just hook er hp an hope for the best. Tug

sounds like ya busted a u-joint or u-joint strap. just replace whats broken and hook her up. i have never bothered to mark the driveshafts when replace u-joints..hasnt had any adverse effects yet.lol :D

the only thing you have to do when hooking up your driveshaft is to make sure that the u-joints at both ends are in the same position. (for example don't hook up like +-x you want x-x that way the joints are flexing in the same direction and will laster longer.)

I just put in my front drive shaft yesterday.Blksmith is right,line the shaft up straight.Oh yeah,and put the t-case in neutral and unlock your hubs,so that you can get a little movment out of them.And the socket you will need is a 1/4 12 point socket.

Jeep 4.7

Thanks to all for the help, I'll be sure to line the Uni's up to flex together.

I got in there today and took the shaft the rest of the way off. Both of the U bolt brackets and 3 of the bolts were missing from the T-case side...the 4th one is sheared off on the output flange still. It should be easy to get out with a left handed drill bit or EZ out.

I noticed that the T-case is not bolted to the skid plate (I saw to holes and brackets) while I was down there...I bought this jeep in July and every thime I finally get some green in my wallet, the last owner's foolishness plucks it back out.

Matt

get the driveline bolted to the skidplate... i've had many many thigns go wrong because the anchor mount was broke

Got the T-case bolted down, Uni's in and the shaft back on last night. A quick trip to the beach told me that it all works ( by the Tug-N-Pull head out windo hard right turn method). Thanks again for all of your help.

Matt

Back